Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: LONGEST THREAD NAME EVER || C-'Ai mnahn' kn'a - Nilgh'ri geb || Traggey is Boyinaband

I personally think modding Amnesia is a great place to start learning programming. It's easy and simple and you don't have to worry about 90% of the rest that comes with making a traditional application from scratch. No memory management needed (just make sure you don't make infinite loops). The engine scripts are also very descriptive and easy to use and they do what you tell them to their best effort.

If you want to pick up something else from here on, I'd say go for it. It'll be an easier introduction if you already know the basics of programming and the mindset needed, things you might've learned here.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2017, 09:27 PM by Mudbill.)
08-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: LONGEST THREAD NAME EVER || C-'Ai mnahn' kn'a - Nilgh'ri geb || Traggey is Boyinaband

I was just about to say I think I'll return making Amnesia custom stories as now programmer may be my profession in the foreseeable future. AngelScript was the place where I got interested in it in the first place. And now both Amnesia and The Machine for Pigs are -85% off Steam Tongue. Didn't have these on my current Steam account, for my surprise. Quite Ironic.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 08:13 PM by Red.)
08-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

Threads: 3

(08-31-2017, 02:40 PM)Red Wrote: I was just about to say I think I'll return making Amnesia custom stories as now programmer may be my profession in the foreseeable future. AngelScript was the place where I got interested in it in the first place. And now both Amnesia and The Machine for Pigs are -85% off Steam Tongue. Didn't have these on my current Steam account, for my surprise. Quite Ironic.

So AngelScript would be a decent place to start?
08-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(08-31-2017, 10:58 PM)SamChurch Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 02:40 PM)Red Wrote: I was just about to say I think I'll return making Amnesia custom stories as now programmer may be my profession in the foreseeable future. AngelScript was the place where I got interested in it in the first place. And now both Amnesia and The Machine for Pigs are -85% off Steam Tongue. Didn't have these on my current Steam account, for my surprise. Quite Ironic.

So AngelScript would be a decent place to start?

Yeah, it's quite simple, imo, but it is based on C++, so it's a two edged blade.
AngelScript might help you understand how game scripting and logic works - and you might even learn a thing or two, but it doesn't make you a programmer. Begin from Java if you covet that. Then choose which way you want to go would be my advice. Some even start from Python, which is even easier, relatively speaking. There's not really the "best" way to go. Every language is different and similar at the same time.
09-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

You guys have all been a great help. Think I have a pretty good general roadmap painted now. Thanks guys
09-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

RE: FLIP THIS THREAD (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

*Activity*
09-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(09-30-2017, 07:41 PM)Red Wrote: *Activity*

ಠ_ಠ

Ye nah, we're dead. R.i.p Frictional Forums; 200x - 2017

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017, 03:50 AM by Romulator.)
10-01-2017, 03:50 AM
Find
SamChurch Offline

(10-01-2017, 03:50 AM)Romulator Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 07:41 PM)Red Wrote: *Activity*

ಠ_ಠ

Ye nah, we're dead. R.i.p Frictional Forums; 200x - 2017

Hopefully only temporarily. It's been a fair while since their last release. Maybe the next one will revive the forums a bit...Though I wouldn't put my money on it. These things happen though.
10-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I think they need to focus more on a modding and community scene for their next title for there to be more activity here. As it stands, SOMA did not quite deliver what they had hoped in terms of moddability, so we only got the occasional tech support threads here in the aftermath of its release. Hopefully the next title(s) will improve on that, because the community sorely needs some love after our daddies have left us Sad

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM by Mudbill.)
10-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

(10-01-2017, 08:57 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I think they need to focus more on a modding and community scene for their next title for there to be more activity here. As it stands, SOMA did not quite deliver what they had hoped in terms of moddability, so we only got the occasional tech support threads here in the aftermath of its release. Hopefully the next title(s) will improve on that, because the community sorely needs some love after our daddies have left us Sad

I agree greatly. I love the direction Bethesda took with Fallout 4 and the remaster of Skyrim for current gen consoles. There's an option on the title screen for mods. They encourage you to use mods so much that they created an option for it! They've even started hiring modders for their "creation club" add-ons (which is personally not that great, but that's beside the point). I hope to see more devs take a route similar to this.

Another such example is The Binding of Isaac Rebirth: Afterbirth+. The dev always dreamed that one day the community would be the core of creation for the future of the game, and finally he decided to implement "booster packs" to the game feature all the community favorite mods from the Steam Workshop. New content is fairly regularly added from the community into the game. This encourages more people to create in the hopes that one day their creation will be featured in the base game.

Overall, I think we're heading into a time of synergy between devs and their modding community. The biggest remaining step is for the devs to open up the doors and let everyone in. Once that's accomplished, the gaming community will boom even greater!
10-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Find