Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Material Editor Problem
physcostealth Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Material Editor Problem

Okay so I exported all the texture files (including crazybump) as .dds, I went into maya and changed the texture to the .dds file and it seems that both the material editor and the model viewer automatically "merged" the crazybump files into the original texture to create the texture I wanted. It all looks great and the preview looks awesome in the material editor and the model viewer but when I open the level editor and get the texture, it's just the plain texture, as if no crazybump textures have been applied. Has this happened to you?
03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

You're talking about the normal maps and specular maps applied to the texture. Yes, when you load the model in the Model Viewer, it will automatically detect textures with the same name with included extensions of _nrm or _spec etc. It then creates a .mat file that already has those applied.

If they do not show up in the game, firstly make sure that when you open the .mat file in the Material Editor, that these textures are actually added. Otherwise, if you only have a box light in your level, the maps will not be visible, because they react to light traveling across the diffuse texture. Box lights are ambient, in other words, the light is applied equally from all directions, therefore no reflections or bumps are added. Try looking at them using the lantern, or have some point/spot light somewhere.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM by Mudbill.)
03-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Find
physcostealth Offline

You're right, the texture layout begins to show if the lantern or a spotlight is used. The texture is supposed to be icy, so it's naturally a bluish hue. The only problem is that it turns green when the lantern is used (yellow light+blue wall, you catch my drift), so I guess that's a problem I'll have to fix later. Thanks for your help!
03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Mudbill, ya dun taught me things.

03-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Sounds like a problem with the spec map. I don't quite remember what caused this, but I've seen green spec maps used for textures. They don't display as green, but the engine treats it a bit differently. I'm sure someone here knows more about spec maps than me.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed. Or at least nearly fixed.

03-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Find
physcostealth Offline

When I edit a model in maya and I have to apply the texture, the image file is naturally just blank because of the fact that it is of Windows origin (.dds and I work on a mac). This tends to make applying the texture difficult as I have to do it blindly. Do you have a way of seeing the texture or using the regular non-windows image to do all the lambert stuff and then just change the texture files to the .dds before you export?
04-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Personally, I just use a png file when applying the texture. You can edit the .dae file with TextEdit after exporting it, just cmd-f to find png and replace it with dds. There's just a single line pointing to the texture, unless you used multiple lamberts.

But if both the png and dds look the same, replacing the file before you export it should work too. The .dds textures do seem to show up in Maya for me.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014, 09:16 AM by Mudbill.)
04-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Find