Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things you like and hate in Horror Games.
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Things you like and hate in Horror Games.

TTD/AMFP pretty much did most of what I like, but still did a few things I don't.
For example, there's the old trope of using the brutal death of a child (usually female), to move some guy's story arch forward (looking at you too, Call of Cthulhu). Now, TDD, AMFP and CoC are some of my favorite games ever, but they still had some elements that made me raise an eyebrow.
Hyper-sexualized elements and the use of rape, usually for the same purposes annoy me, as well.
The overuse of jump scares and blood/gore, which become painfully predictable in games like Haunted Memories and the Slender series.
For some reason, aliens and robots aren't scary to me.
Writing, atmosphere, and music are massive factors to me. If these don't work together, the fear tends to melt away quickly.
What I also loved about AMFP was that it got away from the dark spooky castle/insane asylum/prison setting typical to many horror games.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm in a hurry but I think I covered most of it.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 02:34 AM by VaeVictis.)
05-12-2014, 02:26 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(05-12-2014, 02:26 AM)Abraxas Wrote: TTD/AMFP pretty much did most of what I like, but still did a few things I don't.
For example, there's the old trope of using the brutal death of a child (usually female), to move some guy's story arch forward (looking at you too, Call of Cthulhu). Now, TDD, AMFP and CoC are some of my favorite games ever, but they still had some elements that made me raise an eyebrow.
Hyper-sexualized elements and the use of rape, usually for the same purposes annoy me, as well.

Please elaborate.
05-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

It's called fridging and it's a very common trope used in basically any kind of media. Often it's a man who has become a cynical, dark and gritty person after the tragic death of his wife. It's so commonly used that you most likely never think of it when it is used.

It originates from a comic I believe where the wife of the main character was actually put in the refrigirator, or at least the parts of her.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
05-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(05-12-2014, 02:33 PM)Tiger Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 02:26 AM)Abraxas Wrote: TTD/AMFP pretty much did most of what I like, but still did a few things I don't.

Please elaborate.

Mostly this:
http://howtonotsuckatgamedesign.com/2014...r-violence

The rest of the article isn't really relevant to the topic, but the section I linked is.
Sorry I don't have time for a expanded explanation, but if you want I will when I get the time.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 05:22 AM by VaeVictis.)
05-13-2014, 05:18 AM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

What i mostly don't like is sexual content

Outlast: Whistleblower has a disturbing scene where a gay asshole wants to cut your genitals. I am not gonna watch that scenre when i am playing that DLC

05-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

(05-13-2014, 05:18 AM)Abraxas Wrote:

Please elaborate.

Mostly this:

The rest of the article isn't really relevant to the topic, but the section I linked is.
Sorry I don't have time for a expanded explanation, but if you want I will when I get the time.

I understand what you're saying and I agree, but I just fail to see how Amnesia: TDD and AMFP did any of the the things mentioned in the article. You never got to see the scenes where Daniel tortures the woman/women in the game, so there's no way to no if it was in any way sexualized.
05-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(05-13-2014, 03:36 PM)Tiger Wrote:

Please elaborate.

Mostly this:

I understand what you're saying and I agree, but I just fail to see how Amnesia: TDD and AMFP did any of the the things mentioned in the article. You never got to see the scenes where Daniel tortures the woman/women in the game, so there's no way to no if it was in any way sexualized.

I think she means the whole little girl murder face heel turn thing. That part of the plot did feel kind of contrived. I didn't like it much. Tongue

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

(05-13-2014, 07:08 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(05-13-2014, 03:36 PM)Tiger Wrote:

Please elaborate.

Mostly this:

I think she means the whole little girl murder face heel turn thing. That part of the plot did feel kind of contrived. I didn't like it much. Tongue

I assume we're talking about TDD now? I do not remember anything about a "girl face heel"-thing.
05-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

On the contrary, the revelation that Daniel had killed the little girl (though we saw it all coming) increased the empathy I felt for him, and thus made the story wholly better.

[Image: p229xcq]
05-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I thought Daniel as an arsehole when it was revealed that he killed her.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 12:18 AM by eliasfrost.)
05-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Find