Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Vintage FPS games
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
Vintage FPS games

What are your favourite old FPS games?

I used to play a lot of Doom back in the days. So of course, the Doom games and also other games using the Doom engine are dear to my heart. I especially like Strife. It´s a great game, one of the earliest FPS/RPG hybrids. Strife is quite easily one of the best FPSs ever made. The Doom engine games have an active community, still producing new levels, and source ports, so you can play on modern machines with higher resolution and other new features...

The Build engine was quite popular among game developers - around 14 (or maybe even more than that) games were made with it! Sadly, most of those games suck... the two most popular games, Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior are still a bit active and at least there´s work done on source ports, but I´m not that much into DN3d or SW... However, Blood is a Build engine game that I like very much. It´s also one of the best FPS out there ever (tied with Strife of course). Blood probably has the most cruel and funny weapons in a game, ever. And the disgusting enemies... The best part about Blood though, is probably the atmosphere that the music and sound effects create.

Another old favourite is Dark Forces - the first Star Wars FPS. What was great about this game was that it was more intelligent than other FPS. The story was better integrated, you always had a clear objective during a mission! Plus it´s Star Wars, too. Dark Forces has a small community, and although it´s not as active as it used to be, there seems to be work done to get Dark Forces ported to newer machines.

And I must also mention the Marathon trilogy. These games are great. The story of these games is immense and the way that it is told is great. I mean, you can sit and analyze the story from different points of view, discuss with other people and get new perspectives etc. The gamesplay is a bit slower than other games, more like Half-Life than Doom. Anyways, the Marathon games used to be only for Macintosh, but they have ported them to Windows... What´s more, they are all freeware! You can download them legally without paying for them.

I didn´t make this a poll, would be too many options in it...
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Vintage FPS games

Doom series. I have both for Xbox, the first for Xbox 360 Live Arcade and have had both for GBA.
They are fun even today, I managed to get 200/200 Gamerscore on the 360 Arcade version.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Quake 2 and Elite Force

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Website Find
Bob Saget Offline

Threads: 1

Rise of the Triad is pretty good. I'm not sure if it's Build or not... it was made my Apogee.
Blake Stone was kind of... between Doom and DN3D technology-wise. Another by Apogee (I think)
Ken's Labyrinth is good, but really weird. It's freeware now too.
I'm also trying to get a Build game called Shadow Warrior running at the moment...
And is Deus Ex old enough to be vintage? Tongue
07-31-2009, 05:26 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Blood, I've always liked that game. And Doom.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(07-31-2009, 05:26 AM)Bob Saget Wrote: Rise of the Triad is pretty good. I'm not sure if it's Build or not... it was made my Apogee.

It uses it´s own engine, however with lots of stuff from the Wolf3d engine (uses the same map format), the Doom engine (texture format) and the looking up/down is from Build. ROTT is a bastard child Big Grin:

(07-31-2009, 05:26 AM)Bob Saget Wrote: Blake Stone was kind of... between Doom and DN3D technology-wise. Another by Apogee (I think)
It uses the Wolf3d engine. Quite fun, but I have only played the shareware version. It would be awesome if 3dRealms would release the game as freeware...

(07-31-2009, 05:26 AM)Bob Saget Wrote: Ken's Labyrinth is good, but really weird. It's freeware now too.

Haven´t tried it... but I will sometime.

On that note, if you can get past the simpleness and the lack of coulours, try Catacomb Abyss. It´s shareware, but due to a mistake, the shareware version contains all the levels of the full version.

(07-31-2009, 05:26 AM)Bob Saget Wrote: I'm also trying to get a Build game called Shadow Warrior running at the moment...
I use JFShadowWarrior which you can get here: http://www.jonof.id.au/jfsw

But I´m sure there are other source ports as well!

(07-31-2009, 05:26 AM)Bob Saget Wrote: And is Deus Ex old enough to be vintage? Tongue
If you think it is, then it is! Deus Ex is quite a great game. Possibly one the best games ever made... though don´t really consider as a FPS. I even iked part 2. I´m quite excited about nr 3, too.

Say did you ever try Eradicator? Quite an underrated game...

Red Faction 1 & 2 are also great fun!
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Find
Razalhague Offline

Hexen rocks.

Also, I second the motion to have Deus Ex qualify as vintage.
07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Almost forgot, FreeSpace series. It's not really an FPS, rather a space sim, but it's from the first person and you shoot things. I consider FreeSpace 2 to be the best game of all time, and the source code was released for FreeSpace 2 so a bunch of people got on modding its graphics and making their own campaigns, including ports of the original Descent: FreeSpace and it's expansion pack, Silent Threat.

Technically, you'd only have to get FreeSpace 2 and the source code project in order to play all three games, but I've heard you only have to download the SCP by itself. Either way, http://gog.com/en/gamecard/freespace_2

The feeling of the games is what makes them very unique. You're part of a military organization and it shows. Instead of being sent out alone to do a job you normally have (really smart) AI companions and capitol ships and quite a few times you'll be recalled and replaced by different wings of ships, so that it feels like you're part of the great machine, instead of the amazing video game stylized hero.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Website Find
Bob Saget Offline

(07-31-2009, 11:47 AM)spukrian Wrote: On that note, if you can get past the simpleness and the lack of coulours, try Catacomb Abyss. It´s shareware, but due to a mistake, the shareware version contains all the levels of the full version.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! I just got that one recently too... Oh, and thanks for the Shadow Warrior solution. I just kept trying to run it in DOSBox. :| But I just know I'm missing a few games, and it's driving me insane. I'll give a mention to Half-Life 1 and it's expansions and mods, even though it's not quite vintage yet.

Also, another one that I forgot to mention is Chex Quest. It's a promotional game made by the makers of Chex cereal that uses the DOOM engine, and for a free promo game, it's great.

Another one that I forgot was Nitemare 3D, Although I'm a little miffed that they turned the Hugo adventure games into an FPS...

Also, the one that's been bugging me most... System Shock 2. (Someone had to say it). Quite the unique and scary RPG-styled FPS, even though it was very puzzling at some parts... But I still love it. Smile

Anyway, I'll post more as I think of them.
08-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Find
Razalhague Offline

The first System Shock is also pretty good.
08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Website Find