Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What the Heck's wrong with Requiem?
therock003 Offline

Threads: 1
What the Heck's wrong with Requiem?

I took me two days to finish each of the first Penumbra Games and i enjoyed them like none other, and then comes this requiem expansion which i thought it was going to give the last answers and climax the series, but instead you get a puzzle solving game.

Where's the storyline, where's the atmosphere, where's the feeling of shitting your pants when having to sneak around all those creatures to get to the next room, where's all that? And to top it all off it doesn't make any sense. Are you supposed to play Philip, or Philips Mind? Are you supposed to be you (The player), who are you portraying?

I apologize for my frustrated tone, but i was deeply disappointing when it all came down this.

I guess if you see individually and not judge it as not being a third part of a series you can say it's kinda fun (after all i finished it the same day,if i completely disliked it i would have not touched it), but it's not what it was supposed to be, is all I'm saying.
08-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: What the Heck's wrong with Requiem?

It was clearly announced as a puzzle game, not a new adventure. Black Plague was the end.
I did believe there was going to be a bit more story seeing the rock worm-worshippers in the first level and the tapes left behind by someone, later finding the communications place and all... but it was pretty clearly explained to be a puzzle game.
I honestly don't know why they did the game though. Didn't really add anything to anything.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
08-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Find
therock003 Offline

(08-22-2009, 02:14 PM)Kedjane Wrote: I honestly don't know why they did the game though. Didn't really add anything to anything.

Yes that the thing, it was pointless.

If they were really aching to use their engine again, they should have released a different title with different name. Punembra as a puzzle game really made them lose their edge.
08-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

I feel I must speak up on the behalf of Requiem.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of story of Requiem, and the lack of closure. But I still think that the atmosphere is great and the puzzles are fun and challenging. The fact that it is isn´t a horror game doesn´t bother me.
08-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(08-22-2009, 07:42 PM)spukrian Wrote: I feel I must speak up on the behalf of Requiem.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of story of Requiem, and the lack of closure. But I still think that the atmosphere is great and the puzzles are fun and challenging. The fact that it is isn´t a horror game doesn´t bother me.

But why did they do it? Was what the motivation? You don't just make a game for no reason, especially not when you're as small as Frictional Games are.
It didn't add much to the Penumbra universe, didn't follow up the plot, didn't give us any clues, wasn't awfully entertaining and didn't do anything new. I don't understand why it's called Penumbra (other than to make Penumbra O/BP fans buy it) and I don't understand why they did it.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

(08-22-2009, 10:05 PM)Kedjane Wrote: But why did they do it? Was what the motivation? You don't just make a game for no reason, especially not when you're as small as Frictional Games are.
It didn't add much to the Penumbra universe, didn't follow up the plot, didn't give us any clues, wasn't awfully entertaining and didn't do anything new. I don't understand why it's called Penumbra (other than to make Penumbra O/BP fans buy it) and I don't understand why they did it.

They made it to experiment with the engine and to make puzzles more focused on physics-based interaction. And it is labeled as a game expansion instead of a full game.

Well, on the plot and such stuff I agree, but on your other points I disagree, I find Requiem on the whole to be entertaining, and it did have new stuff, that weren´t in the earlier games.
08-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Find
veeria Offline

Threads: 3

It doesn't add any real story and was not as fun as the others, at least for me who focus on atmosphere and all that.

But there was some psychological aspect to it as well, especially at the start. But more importantly, I feel the game answers the question of what happens after Black Plague, but in a wonderfully abstract and poetic way. Not to mention the two endings are ambiguous, I spent two weeks wondering which was the "right" one, if there was any.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2009, 02:58 AM by agegg.)
08-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Find
86me Offline

What about the level with the rising water? (the top room instead of the room with he security camera)

I still haven't figured that one out, but I think that this "expansion" would have worked better as a top down iPhone game. It plays like a first person version of Klotski.

Either way. I can give enough positive praise to Overture and Black Plague. Truly unique and engaging games. Requiem would be a good episode to start off a newcomer to Penumbra with, like an extended tutorial. There were a lot of things that the tutorial failed to explain that got me stuck in a few spots in both Overture and BP. Primarily activating pieces of puzzles where something needed to be thrown instead of banged against. (using the mousewheel to slam forward and bang against something in order to break it) as opposed to throwing the object at it.

Keep it up guys. Can't wait to see the next engine enhancements. :lone:
09-05-2009, 03:28 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

For the room with flooding water:
Spoiler below!
There are four holes in the wall, each with a box, and there are four big buttons on the ceiling. Put a box under each button, and when you reach the top of the room, the boxes will press the buttons and the room will uh... de-flood.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

It was fun, but not worth the $10 cost mostly due to the repetitive puzzles "Find X number of balls and place them in this teleporter (what the hell?) to move onto the next level to do it all over again."
The lack of any real atmosphere (For a horror game it sure avoided the horror genre) also hurt this.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
09-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Find