Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Layers of Fear
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Layers of Fear

I didn't finish the entire game since I got so bored with it after about 50 minutes, so I'm not one for writing a review.

I also played it at a mates place and I beleive you must own the game on steam to write a review?
09-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(09-13-2015, 12:52 AM)Traggey Wrote: I didn't finish the entire game since I got so bored with it after about 50 minutes, so I'm not one for writing a review.

I also played it at a mates place and I beleive you must own the game on steam to write a review?

Probably, yea.
Alright. Was it like Dear Esther?

Trying is the first step to success.
09-13-2015, 01:07 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

No not quite, it definately had more to it than that, to begin with there was an actual story, although I wasn't very fond of it. And there were some forms of gameplay such as finding keys, and interacting with certain objects to further the game.

I'd say the game is constructed like a walking simulator in which you have to bend over and tie your shoes from time to time in order to keep walking.
09-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Gameplay wise it's pretty empty and un-interactive, and even story wise for the first little bit there's next to nothing to keep you going forward. But I found that once I progressed a little bit past the slow beginning and learned what's actually going on, it is kind of intriguing. Essentially you're playing an artist in the 1700s (or something) as he descends into madness. The house where the game takes place is constantly changing its rooms and all this weird shit keeps happening all around you, progressively getting more fucked up as you go along.

It's a neat concept, but the most impressive thing about it is the execution. For me at least, I found it extremely tense and at moments terrifying, this game does psychological horror better than any other game I've seen. The graphics and sound design/music really pull you into the atmosphere, then it scares the shit out of you. On paper, the formula sounds completely idiotic "walk into room, lock door, show some spoopy shit, walk out of room and realize it's a different room, repeat" but for the most part it worked really well. It's one of the few games where it lets your imagination run wild with things that could happen, then it actually shows you something on par with what you were afraid of. Like really, some of the shit really got under my skin in a weird way; I think this can really only be accomplished to this degree in a psychological horror game. I mostly played it at night though so that definitely contributed to how I felt about it.

The game isn't without some kinks, though, especially because it is in early access. I said I mostly played it at night, but I did play a chunk of it during the day and I found it somewhat boring with the lack of gameplay and story. The scares were also much less effective; this is one of those games where you can really only play at night to get any effect. It does seem to become a tad repetitive and predictable as you go on as well, but I can't say too much on that since I'm not sure if I even got near the ending. Will be finishing this game later with my buddy.

Overall I'd say horror fans should definitely give this one a go. It's not 10/10 but it's worth playing, and I'm sure the final release will be better since they said they cut out a chunk of the game to not spoil too much.

Another thing, I cannot play horror games by myself, especially at night. I don't know if I'm a massive pussy or just really sensitive to these sorts of things, but it's like this for most horror games I play. I just start shaking or getting goosebumps and getting super anxious and quiet, it just becomes too uncomfortable to play. After I played the beginning I retreated under the covers of my own bed scared as fuck and watched my friend play it, I even had to ask him to stop after a bit because it was too much. So keep in mind when I say this is super scary that I'm a massive bitch when it comes to these games. At this point it's really hard to understand why I'm so into horror games when they bring me this much discomfort. My friend didn't seem nearly as scared as me but he said he liked it a lot so that's something.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015, 05:25 AM by Damascus Rose.)
09-13-2015, 05:12 AM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(09-13-2015, 05:12 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Another thing, I cannot play horror games by myself, especially at night. I don't know if I'm a massive pussy or just really sensitive to these sorts of things, but it's like this for most horror games I play. I just start shaking or getting goosebumps and getting super anxious and quiet, it just becomes too uncomfortable to play. After I played the beginning I retreated under the covers of my own bed scared as fuck and watched my friend play it, I even had to ask him to stop after a bit because it was too much. So keep in mind when I say this is super scary that I'm a massive bitch when it comes to these games. At this point it's really hard to understand why I'm so into horror games when they bring me this much discomfort. My friend didn't seem nearly as scared as me but he said he liked it a lot so that's something.

Smile
I've played Alien: Isolation and Dead space 3 with my girlfriend. I was scared more than her. When in some room with discomfortable athmosphere or jumpscares she's cool with it while I'm screaming. I'm hoping we'll play SOMA together. While I could play it by myself, playing together is much more fun.
09-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Playing together is much more fun, but for a game like SOMA I need to cherish that shit. I waited 5 long years for this game to come out and I need to get as much immersion as possible. Will I be able to handle it? Maybe.. I could handle amfp through great effort but I realized after that that game isn't very scary

09-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-12-2015, 11:21 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 10:57 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: Just curious, don´t inmidiatly ban me because i ask you this serious thing Heart

Please do not keep keep bringing this up or joking about it as it is disrespectful to the moderators and it has been cause for many problems in the past.

If you wish to respond to this post, send me a PM instead of replying to this in this thread.

There is, of course a reason why he wrote that.
09-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Googol don't start. Just don't.

Back to the topic.
09-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Googolplex, I will not tolerate blatant passive aggressiveness after I have already called for a stop to it, especially not against any of the moderators, ESPECIALLY not from you.

This will literally be the last word I will have on this topic in this thread. I let DNAlange's previous response to my original post slide because it was merely him being courteous, but as of now, no more responses in this thread. Take it to PM if you must.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-14-2015, 02:30 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Well, this got derailed pretty quick. On a side note, the more I play STASIS the more it shows similarities to what we know about SOMA. Both sci-fi horror, research facilities, isolation, things fucking up, creepy shit happening, having to escape and someone giving you advice. (both names starting with S and being all caps.) Curious to see when SOMA comes out of the differences, which game did what better etc.
Soma's production quality seems much higher of course and has the edge because it's 3d, also I have yet to see a monster in stasis. It's still pretty damn creepy though.

hmm, maybe i should quit playing stasis until after i beat soma. I don't want it to curb the experience..

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015, 05:18 AM by Damascus Rose.)
09-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Find