Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25
RE: SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)

What is so special about the behavior of the monster at site Tau? Every monster had like special behavior (reaction to sounds/movements, teleports if looking at it..) But the one at Tau seems like a normal monster, Amnesia style.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2015, 12:31 AM by TiManGames.)
09-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

(09-30-2015, 12:31 AM)TheTieMan Wrote: What is so special about the behavior of the monster at site Tau? Every monster had like special behavior (reaction to sounds/movements, teleports if looking at it..) But the one at Tau seems like a normal monster, Amnesia style.

Spoiler below!
It stops for a bit if you look at it, then it inches closer and closer. Insta-kill on contact. Also, it takes about 5 seconds for it to open a door.

And another thing, when the monster from Tau is chasing me it goes into an error T-Pose, why is this?
09-30-2015, 07:13 AM
Find
kojack Offline

Threads: 0

(09-30-2015, 07:13 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 12:31 AM)TheTieMan Wrote: What is so special about the behavior of the monster at site Tau? Every monster had like special behavior (reaction to sounds/movements, teleports if looking at it..) But the one at Tau seems like a normal monster, Amnesia style.

Spoiler below!
It stops for a bit if you look at it, then it inches closer and closer. Insta-kill on contact. Also, it takes about 5 seconds for it to open a door.

And another thing, when the monster from Tau is chasing me it goes into an error T-Pose, why is this?

Looking at the Tau monster script, it almost seems like some of it's behaviour is faulty. If it detects you and either you are very close or you are moving slowly, it switches to hunt mode (also does that if you hit it with a physics object). I would have thought it should be if you move too fast, not too slow. Could be why it hates me just hiding (I can hear you not moving!).
Or I could be (probably am) wrong. Smile
09-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Find
DenifClock Offline

Threads: 1

Can someone tell me the name of that big heavy haunting robot at Upsilon? I just can't find its name.
09-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

(09-30-2015, 07:28 PM)DenifClock Wrote: Can someone tell me the name of that big heavy haunting robot at Upsilon? I just can't find its name.
Construct. Or maintenance infected but I like Construct! Tongue
09-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Find
Science Bird Offline

Threads: 0

Hay! I'm currently trying to get an overview of the entities that actually endanger you, maybe you can check the things I believe to know:

Spoiler below!

Upsilon: Construct (Do not be seen)
Lambda/CURIE: Jiangshi (Optihazard. Do not look at)
Theta:Proxy, Humanoid Proxies (Do not be heard)
Omicron: Ross, ????? (Attacks if angered enough)
Tau: /4subjWAUr/ (hyper-aggressive, basically permanently triggered)
Other: Some fish.

Are these bits right? Are these the "accepted" names? What is the name of the entity at omicron? Also are the following observations correct? They are mostly inferred since, you know, I can't look.

Spoiler below!
Jiangshi is triggered by looking at him, even through 1 layer of wall. If you look at him through a closed door, he will not leave. If he is not triggered yet, he will teleport in front of you in the corridors to trick you into looking at him. His shout of anger can ram open doors.As long as you face away from him, he can not hurt you, though he may rage behind your back for minutes before giving up.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 12:51 AM by Science Bird.)
10-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

What are offiical names of all the creatures?
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 09:34 PM by Radiance.)
10-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Disco Ball Head! Big Grin

(10-01-2015, 10:09 PM)Science Bird Wrote: Are these bits right? Are these the "accepted" names? What is the name of the entity at omicron? Also are the following observations correct? They are mostly inferred since, you know, I can't look.

Spoiler below!
Jiangshi is triggered by looking at him, even through 1 layer of wall. If you look at him through a closed door, he will not leave. If he is not triggered yet, he will teleport in front of you in the corridors to trick you into looking at him. His shout of anger can ram open doors.As long as you face away from him, he can not hurt you, though he may rage behind your back for minutes before giving up.

The Jiangshi can hurt you if you are too close to him/her. That's the only thing you left out as far as I know.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM by A.M Team.)
10-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Find
humanoid Offline

Threads: 3

I could be wrong but these are the things that I noticed (didn't do extensive testing to prove it though):

1) it always knows where you are and will sooner or later get to you, hiding is only a short-term solution

2) it charges at you once you are somewhat close, in line of sight and not looking at it (meaning that you have to keep looking at it to avoid it?)

3) its relatively fast once its in charge mode, meaning you have to know exactly where you are going
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 11:19 PM by humanoid.)
10-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

I figured I'd make an update now that SOMA's released. AFAIK, what follows is a complete list of SOMA's enemies, where "enemy" is defined as "an entity that can hurt you" (so Johan Ross doesn't qualify).

Spoiler below!
[Image: YM3nNO2.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Construct, Maintenance Infected, Robot Doggy
Location(s): Upsilon
Behavior: Actively explores its environment. Has a narrow field of vision, indicated by its searchlight. Moves slowly while in "search mode", but moves quickly when it spots Simon.
Story: This robot has the mind of a female human (according to artwork), who is unaware of her plight.
Spoiler below!
[Image: YWawgJx.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Infected, Swimmer
Location(s): Ocean floor near Upsilon and Lambda
Behavior: Slowly patrols area, or attempts to break windows. Becomes hostile when Simon gets too close, but is easily evaded.
Story: This robot is confused and in pain, begging for structure gel.
Spoiler below!
[Image: yakSpn6.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Flesher, Jiangshi, Disco Ball Head
Location(s): Lambda, Ocean floor near Lambda, CURIE
Behavior: Frequently teleports. Moves more quickly when Simon looks at it. Opens manual doors. One-hit KO during its final appearance.
Story: Called the Jiangshi in early builds, but not in the final release. Catherine describes it as "exploding with electromagnetism", which may explain its teleportation abilities. (It moves while Simon is stunned.)

Spoiler below!
[Image: fuTk621.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Proxy, Mindcoral Puppet
Location(s): Theta
Behavior: Blind, but reacts to sound. Moves clumsily and opens automatic doors.
Story: These are humans who have been transformed by structure gel. In Theta's climax, Simon must navigate an entire nest of them.
Spoiler below!
[Image: e8mrZ58.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Akers, Proxy, Mindcoral Puppet
Location(s): Theta
Behavior: Blind, but reacts to sound. Moves quickly, opens automatic doors, and uses vents.
Story: Strangely dark under certain lighting conditions. This may be Terry Akers, who tore out his own eyes and consumed large quantities of structure gel.
Spoiler below!
[Image: bznyoSW.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Robot Girl, Screamer
Location(s): Omicron
Behavior: When idle, shivers and laughs/cries. "Awoken" by movement, but slow to react. Screams and glows when hostile. One-hit KO during its final appearance.
Story: A female "survivor" of the massacre at Omicron.

Spoiler below!
[Image: rK1nK3y.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Leviathan, WAU Shark
Location(s): Abyss, Alpha
Behavior: Swims with massive gliding/rolling movements. Chases Simon through a pipe. Attempts to grab Simon in its maw; if it succeeds, swims a short distance before dropping him.
Story: This enemy may be a robotic sentinel, manufactured by WAU.
Spoiler below!
[Image: gUzkp1E.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Fangtooth
Location(s): Abyss
Behavior: Swims quickly and attacks in schools. Best avoided by hiding in cargo boxes.
Story: These fish have been made larger and more aggressive by structure gel.
Spoiler below!
[Image: H6Yghf9.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Anglerfish
Location(s): Abyss
Behavior: Waits outside a cave, luring prey with its light. Slowly gives chase if Simon gets too close, even pursuing him through the cave.
Story: This fish has been made larger and more aggressive by structure gel.
Spoiler below!
[Image: AAnSTgK.jpg]
Possible Name(s): Yoshida, Diving Suit, Tentacle-Face
Location(s): Tau
Behavior: Walks like a zombie. Unusually persistent and difficult to hide from. Opens automatic doors. Often pauses before charging forward. When it catches Simon, attacks him with its facial tentacles.
Story: This may be J. Yoshida, the last person to use Power Suit 3 at Tau.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 05:41 AM by GhylTarvoke.)
10-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Find