Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)

As I mentioned before, proper naming of these is a mess, even FG didn't have specific names set in stone.

Drives my OCD mad.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015, 03:15 AM by Kein.)
10-11-2015, 03:14 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(10-11-2015, 01:49 AM)kojack Wrote: Ok, from page 3 list:
#4 is mind coral puppet 2.
#5 is mind coral puppet 1.
If you look at their designs in super secret, they are both made of multiple people of different ethnicity merged together, not a single mutated person. So #5 might be part Akers, but also part of someone else.

#6 is called robot head in the editor (and robot girl in super secret).

Edit: Actually, the map script file uses the term Akers a lot for monster activity in Theta, looks like #5 might be at least partly him. A staff report said "The Proxy we killed was blind, just like Akers. But it listens! Careful -- we spotted two more by the infirmary."

Great catches! I don't think anyone else has mentioned that the puppets consist of multiple people. (Ugh!) It's also nice to know that "Akers" is a logical alternative to the generic "Puppet 1".

(10-11-2015, 03:14 AM)Kein Wrote: As I mentioned before, proper naming of these is a mess, even FG didn't have specific names set in stone.

Drives my OCD mad.

For the benefit of our OCD, here are my suggested canonical names. What do you think?

#1: Construct (No competition.)
#2: Crawler (No competition.)
#3: Flesher (Sadly, "Jiangshi" fell out of use.)
#4: Proxy (The in-game name.)
#5: Akers (Justification provided by kojack.)
#6: Robot Girl (More recognizable than "Robot Head".)
#7: Leviathan (No competition.)
#8: WAU Fish (It's clearly been modified by WAU.)
#9: Anglerfish (No competition.)
#10: Yoshida (Very likely the in-game name.)
10-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Find
kojack Offline

Threads: 0

(10-11-2015, 05:26 AM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: #10: Yoshida (Very likely the in-game name.)

The scripts refer to the Tau enemy as Diving Monster. The entity file is deapsea_diver_monster.
But one line of the Tau map script does say: "Scene 2 Event J *Killed by Yoshida*". It's on an empty function, but does suggest the diving monster is Yoshida as speculated. There's no other mention of Yoshida in any map file, apart from some log messages.

While the logic calls #5 Akers, the story says there's at least 3 of them roaming around. Then again, since it's made from several people, maybe parts of Akers are in all of them. Smile

I searched all of the game's files, no occurences of "Jiangshi" found.
10-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Thanks again, kojack! I'm now convinced that Yoshida is an appropriate name (and supported by an in-game reference). It's a shame about #5, but I can't stand the thought of calling it "Mind Coral Puppet 1".

Any idea what the aggressive fish in the abyss are called? That's the last thing bothering me.
10-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

(10-11-2015, 06:26 AM)kojack Wrote: While the logic calls #5 Akers, the story says there's at least 3 of them roaming around. Then again, since it's made from several people, maybe parts of Akers are in all of them. Smile

I searched all of the game's files, no occurences of "Jiangshi" found.
I think it's fair to refer as #5 as Akers, since the enemy found in Theta labs is intended to be one, singular enemy (Akers), whereas #4 is Akers' little kin that are referred in that specific note you were talking about. More than one (at least 3 iirc) are encountered in Maintenance. The Proxy in Theta labs is specifically referred to as Akers in the script multiple times as well (He also has a lot of voicelines!)

(10-11-2015, 07:45 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: Any idea what the aggressive fish in the abyss are called? That's the last thing bothering me.
I think we can just refer to them by their entity name, which would be Viperfish. In-game appearance, Model in Model Viewer

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
10-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Just what I wanted! "Akers" is the perfect name to distinguish him from the other proxies. I didn't think the fish were long enough to be viperfish, but there we go. (The human face is a nice touch.)
10-12-2015, 03:37 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(10-10-2015, 03:23 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: The wiki also refers to the Leviathan as a giant squid, but it's visually clear that the Leviathan is inorganic. And the game files classify it as a robot.

I thought the logs you could visit in the third building in the Abyss implied/stated the Leviathan was a WAU-modified large fish of some kind?
10-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(10-03-2015, 03:05 PM)Kein Wrote: He does comes to life and "works" like "infected/resurrected crying woman"

(10-03-2015, 09:05 PM)Kein Wrote: UNLESS I'm mistaken, isn't the second ressurected enemy is him? I mean, he is lying around in that hallway at Omicorn ffor a while but once you get the chargepack he is gone. I always assumed he was the second "resurrected crew member" since it did not cry, just moan or something.

Do you mean the final monster who chases you back into the suit room, when Simon yells "lock the door"? I just checked (thanks godmode!) and it's the same enemy who's in the power room:

http://s15.postimg.org/lxqxpnfq1/282140_..._00001.png
http://s15.postimg.org/5wyccohuh/282140_..._00002.png

I still haven't seen the Patchwork Man anywhere except when he's lying on the ground.

10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Find
kojack Offline

Threads: 0

The only place he exists in the maps is that one spot in omicron. When you hit a certain trigger area the script calls a function described as:
Quote:// Scene 5 - Misc Spook Events - Patchwork man disappears
which just removes him and turns off the distortion effect in that area.

The trigger is at the door at the top of the stairwell that is next to the patchwork man. So it happens on the way to the chargepack, but the chargepack isn't the cause.
10-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-13-2015, 08:19 AM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 03:05 PM)Kein Wrote: He does comes to life and "works" like "infected/resurrected crying woman"

(10-03-2015, 09:05 PM)Kein Wrote: UNLESS I'm mistaken, isn't the second ressurected enemy is him? I mean, he is lying around in that hallway at Omicorn ffor a while but once you get the chargepack he is gone. I always assumed he was the second "resurrected crew member" since it did not cry, just moan or something.

Do you mean the final monster who chases you back into the suit room, when Simon yells "lock the door"? I just checked (thanks godmode!) and it's the same enemy who's in the power room:

http://s15.postimg.org/lxqxpnfq1/282140_..._00001.png
http://s15.postimg.org/5wyccohuh/282140_..._00002.png

I still haven't seen the Patchwork Man anywhere except when he's lying on the ground.

Hmm, that's weird. He does disappears from his place tho. I wonder why FG decided to remove him from encounter?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Find