Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should firearms be regulated in the U.S.?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, ban all guns!
18.75%
3 18.75%
Yes, require licences and frequent tests to prove you're capable.
81.25%
13 81.25%
No, leave it as it is.
0%
0 0%
No, give guns to everyone to protect themselves!
0%
0 0%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Gun control in the U.S.
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Gun control in the U.S.

Yes, yes, the topic is way overdone, but the reason it keeps popping up is because ultimately nothing is ever done about it. So here goes.

The United States + guns for everyone = ???

So far in 2015 there are recorded [over] 355 mass shootings in the US alone. That's more than 1 per day. Every time there's a big one to hit the news, this topic pops up. Liberals are like "We need gun control." Republicans are like "No, I want my guns." After a lot of shit talking, things calm down and nothing is done about it. So how long is this gonna keep going?

The problem now is that mass shootings don't even faze people anymore. They're becoming so used to it that they're just like "oh... that sucks," instead of "Oh, that's terrible! We need to do something."

What do you think? Does the US need stricter gun control/regulation? If so/if not, please explain why you think so.

12-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Gun control in the U.S.

Here in Australia, Gun Control laws have existed for quite a while. As far as I know, before 1996, laws allowed citizens with a permit to possess a semi-automatic weapon. However, thanks to our Government "buy-back" scheme and tougher laws around possessing guns, the number of them and the ability to access them as become extremely difficult to most citizens.

As such, Australia has remained quite peaceful when it comes to mass shootings, but I won't deny things still happen

Now I'm not saying that America needs to adopt similar laws in Australia - since that's likely going to cause a lot of problems for people about their personal security and that America might have kept the matter going for too long to start taking such action now.

But what I can say is with >355 mass shootings in 2015 alone - if gun control laws aren't going to do something about it - then what will? What are the causes of these shootings and why isn't more being done to prevent them?

To be fair, I don't have much knowlege on weapons statistics in America since Australia doesn't normally follow the U.S. and their problems. Of the 355 mass shootings, probably 10 have been reported on in most* televised News programs in this country - probably because, as Mudbill said, since it doesn't faze us anymore. It's no longer "news" that a mass shooting occurs, but "news" when there is something unique about it (terrorism, hostages, racially-provoked, death of multiple law enforcers, length of siege, number of casualties, age of offenders, age of the dead).

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
12-05-2015, 02:25 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Here in Ireland farmers with permits are allowed guns. Even An Garda Siochana (the Irish police) mostly use batons and such to deal with criminals. I think some Dublin branches are allowed use guns but don't quote me on that.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 08:09 AM by A.M Team.)
12-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Find
Tybobobo Offline

Threads: 1

(12-05-2015, 08:09 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Here in Ireland farmers with permits are allowed guns. Even An Garda Siochana (the Irish police) mostly use batons and such to deal with criminals. I think some Dublin branches are allowed use guns but don't quote me on that.

It is the same in Norway. Although recently police have been given greater permission to wear arms; although it appears that (although not entirely sure) they will return to keep firearms in their vehicle; instead of wearing them.

Norway have some of the lowest crime rate in the entire world; and the only guns you can get, require a license (you have to take a gun course and prove you are sane), and only for hunting or sports. If I recall (I could be wrong about this part); you cannot even get automated weapons. Simply because you do not hunt with automated weapons. The only purpose of an automated weapon is to kill people. Weapons of war.
12-06-2015, 05:35 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(12-06-2015, 05:35 AM)Tybobobo Wrote: they will return to keep firearms in their vehicle; instead of wearing them.

I have nothing useful to contribute to the discussion as a whole but I cannot express how bad of an idea that is. In Canada, you could get fired (assuming you're an officer) for leaving your gun in a vehicle. Why? Someone could break in to your vehicle, steal your gun, and use it to carry out a crime. I sincerely hope the "leave it in their vehicle" is speculation and not what actually happens.
TL;DR don't leave your guns lying around for stealing

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
12-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Find
Danarogon AP Offline

Threads: 4

1. Because people view it as against their constitucional rights.

2. Because it is easier to blame those nasty songs kids listen to, or violent games.

3. Because of gun lobies.

4. Because people have grown used to it now, saying there was another mass shooting on the US no longer holds the same impact as it used to.

12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Find
Danarogon AP Offline

Threads: 4

Yup. Human nature is all kinds of fucked up.

12-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Find