Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I am a Strange Loop
zmatrix Offline

Threads: 1
I am a Strange Loop

After playing SOMA and running through so many trials on what consciousness is, and if there is anything out there other than just a simple construct of our brain (or brain scan) I wondered if you very good folks over at Frictional Games have read "I am a Strange Loop" by Douglas Hofstadter. In chapter 21 he discusses a very similar philosophical conundrum that is the human consciousness. If not, I think you might enjoy it. This goes for any other users out there, if any of them have heard of the book.
12-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Find
psxpetey Offline

Threads: 6
RE: I am a Strange Loop

THANKYOU that kicked ass
12-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Find
Striker Offline

Threads: 2

Nice man, will have to check this out

There's a show called Black Mirror, latest episode is called White Christmas (2014), has some very SOMA-esque moments in it that anyone that played the game would appreciate.

Posted a thread but I guess it came across as an advertisement. I just thought people would find it interesting.

Would love to discuss it but would just give away too many spoilers for those that haven't seen it.
12-31-2015, 05:05 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

White Christmas is fantastic.

Spoiler below!
At first, I thought the idea of a cookie was too cruel to become a reality. Then I visited the IMDb forum and saw many comments saying that cookies weren't real people, so it was okay to do anything to them. Ugh.
12-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(12-31-2015, 05:05 AM)Striker Wrote: There's a show called Black Mirror, latest episode is called White Christmas (2014),

That show has another, very similar episode that aired earlier.
I noticed how much they (creators) love to explore this aspect.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Find
Striker Offline

(12-31-2015, 10:10 AM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: White Christmas is fantastic.

Spoiler below!
At first, I thought the idea of a cookie was too cruel to become a reality. Then I visited the IMDb forum and saw many comments saying that cookies weren't real people, so it was okay to do anything to them. Ugh.

Spoiler below!

I did too! But I guess someone will find a loophole eventually and exploit it. I am pretty introverted so am okay with solitude, but man that part where he made her sit there for like 3 months with NOTHING to do was insanely cruel ! And I can totally see someone getting away with it.
01-01-2016, 04:38 AM
Find
Striker Offline

(12-31-2015, 05:41 PM)Kein Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 05:05 AM)Striker Wrote: There's a show called Black Mirror, latest episode is called White Christmas (2014),

That show has another, very similar episode that aired earlier.
I noticed how much they (creators) love to explore this aspect.

Yep, I love it, and looks like a full 12 episode season has been ordered, I can't wait !
01-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Find
Striker Offline

Found another SOMA-esque storyline, Dark Matter, Season 1, episode 8.

Basically plot line:

1) You get cloned
2) Your clone goes on a vacation, somewhere very remote
3) When it gets back, the memories of the vacation get merged into yours
4) Then your clone gets "bio-recycled."

lol so I guess in this series the makers of the travel software have no qualms about getting rid of the copy.

The obvious issue occurs when people start getting you and the copy mixed up. The clone is able to take all kinds of dangerous risks for you, so if the clone dies, the original (you) stays unharmed.

Sort of like Total Recall
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 02:42 AM by Striker.)
01-04-2016, 02:41 AM
Find