Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Most disturbing areas/moments
serotonin Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Most disturbing areas/moments

I haven't finished the game yet, but so far...

The flooded tunnels left me dizzy and hyper-ventilating when it was over and I finally emerged into the safe area. I had to pause the game and hold my head in my hands for a minute.

I haven't enjoyed a rush of adrenaline-induced fear like that in a survival-horror game in a loooooooong time.

Not being able to fight back, never empowering the player, makes all the difference.
09-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Find
Thanatos Offline

Threads: 0

Haven't finished yet as I'm playing with a friend, but so far...

Spoiler below!
The storage room was the worst. We went in and lit all the torches becuase Daniel said the dark was unnatural, before going to explore the small room on the left. Just as we were going to leave to explore the rest Daniel started to freak out and, lo and behold, there was a grunt coming to kill him. We ran back out to the entry hall, getting horribly mauled along the way and wandered around for a while before realising we definitely had to go back (we had already explored all the other areas before we originally went to the storage area)

After creeping in the dark for ages, finding the drill bits and making the explosive, we decided the grunt had disappeared. We finally realised what we were supposed to do with the explosive and whilst exploring the next room ended up opening the door with the grunt behind u.u' we hid for a stupidly long amount of time before creeping back and making our way to the area where the two rods are. We kind of realised that the moment we picked them up we would probably be attacked again and so we grabbed them and ran. Somehow we avoided the grunt, even though he was directly in our way, and thought we were home free... that was when we ran slap bang into a second grunt, just above where we had cleared the rockfall. We managed to swerve around him and sprint for the hall, but unfortunately he caught up and mauled poor Daniel to death. Managed it on the second try after being respawned in the cleared passage below him.

Having read other people's accounts of the storage area I have to ask ¬.¬ did anyone else get two grunts? It seems to me that most people only have to deal with the one behind the door, though I could be wrong.

That was a pretty intense area for us, though the whole game so far seems to thrill in not lifting the tension one bit. Doesn't help that my sentiments are with Daniel entirely... I have a fear of the dark u.u'
09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Spoiler below!
Torture chambers.

09-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Website Find
dimmi Offline

Quote:
Spoiler below!

Having read other people's accounts of the storage area I have to ask ¬.¬ did anyone else get two grunts? It seems to me that most people only have to deal with the one behind the door, though I could be wrong.

That was a pretty intense area for us, though the whole game so far seems to thrill in not lifting the tension one bit. Doesn't help that my sentiments are with Daniel entirely... I have a fear of the dark u.u'

Spoiler below!

Can't say for sure, but I sure wiped out a few times in the same place. Didn't really stop and think about the number of the beasts because I was running down the hallway like an idiot with chills going down my spine. It was quite intense. Haven't really gotten that from another game before. Excellent game. Smile

09-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Find
Thanatos Offline

(09-12-2010, 12:57 AM)dimmi Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Can't say for sure, but I sure wiped out a few times in the same place. Didn't really stop and think about the number of the beasts because I was running down the hallway like an idiot with chills going down my spine. It was quite intense. Haven't really gotten that from another game before. Excellent game. Smile

I guess the real question was
Spoiler below!
Did anyone else get attacked before clearing the rockfall and heading towards where the rods are?
09-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

Spoiler below!
The prison area, oh god..oh god..

Also
Spoiler below!
The storage area was very scary too, I played it during the night, after I decided to leg it from the two monsters and got to the hallway or what ever I wanted to go take a piss IRL, paused the game and went out my room only to be greeted with dark corridor + rooms. Ive never been that scared going to the bathroom <_<
09-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Find
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2

Spoiler below!
In the Study, Alexanders room near the room with the dead animals. I was just opening drawers, looking for tinderboxes and then I opened the cupboard and skulls flew out of it. I shouted - Holy sh*t becouse I was tottaly not expecting that. Then when I played the second time in the same place I completely forgot about it and opened it without even thinking. I said - Holy....... Crap, it got me again....

Meh...
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Find
Elisius Von Pryde Offline

Threads: 1

(09-13-2010, 05:23 PM)TheLittleGarfield Wrote:
Spoiler below!
In the Study, Alexanders room near the room with the dead animals. I was just opening drawers, looking for tinderboxes and then I opened the cupboard and skulls flew out of it. I shouted - Holy sh*t becouse I was tottaly not expecting that. Then when I played the second time in the same place I completely forgot about it and opened it without even thinking. I said - Holy....... Crap, it got me again....

Totally agree. Played it with the commentary on the second go and it still scared me half to death.
09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Find
brrrrainz Offline

Threads: 1

(09-12-2010, 02:18 PM)Arvuti Wrote: Also
Spoiler below!
The storage area was very scary too, I played it during the night, after I decided to leg it from the two monsters and got to the hallway or what ever I wanted to go take a piss IRL, paused the game and went out my room only to be greeted with dark corridor + rooms. Ive never been that scared going to the bathroom <_<

yeah, I know what you mean. happened to me after watching paranormal activity and rec in a row. the idea of walking into my dark bathroom became suddenly very terrfying =)
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Find
Viking Offline

Threads: 6

Pretty much what Commando Peach said about

Spoiler below!
Any running away bits. The initial water lurker section was terrifyingly tense as it was something new that happened.
After that, although there will still some really scary parts I started getting used to the mechanics of the game and realise monsters just disappear after a while after you've hidden for a bit (in most cases)

But then later on having to run away from the shadow and then find a door blocked with rubble! Gah! Physics help me!

Apart from that the other parts that made me jump and swear were

Spoiler below!
After going through the secret library area and getting back to the hallway, you spy a grunt walking through a doorway entrance. I went the other way and returned to the now caved in entrance to that library part only to turn around and find a grunt right in my face that suddenly disappeared in a puff of smoke. I screamed out such expletives at that point!

and

Spoiler below!
Returning to the Chancel the second time only to be jumped by two grunts as soon as coming through the door. I knocked my mouse off the desk at that point.

Don't know if they count as disturbing but they made me crap myself!
09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Find