Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What would you like to see from Frictional next?
khawaja07 Offline

Threads: 9
RE: What would you like to see from Frictional next?

They must STICK with HORROR and i MEAN IT ! they're INCREDIBLY perfect with it ! but this time in another Space and not in another ancient time..
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

Penumbra was great horror with a modern setting. Amnesia is great horror in a 19th century setting.

Stick with horror, but choose another historical time/place. Honestly, I don't think Frictional is ready yet (emphasis on yet) to create a game in a futuristic setting that would live up to their high standards. I don't know if they're even interested in doing that, though.

Let someone else use the HPL engine to create a non-horror game. I think it's actually a good and powerful engine for that, but Frictional has shown themselves to be very good at horror and until they know that they can succeed at other genres, they should stick to it.
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I don't think Frictional needs to change that much, but you can't keep doing dark, claustrophobic horror forever. There's too much potential and good ideas for them to all be put into just one genre. Possibly an RPG in a STALKER-like world?

But definitely, someone needs (it may be Frictional, it may not) to make detective/mystery games on this engine. HPL is the only engine I can think of that would work perfectly for the player to come into a room and search every nook and cranny methodically without it feeling like a chore. It could make searching for clues very interesting and exciting!

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Website Find
xgatto Offline

Threads: 1

(09-12-2010, 10:15 PM)Lee Wrote: But definitely, someone needs (it may be Frictional, it may not) to make detective/mystery games on this engine. HPL is the only engine I can think of that would work perfectly for the player to come into a room and search every nook and cranny methodically without it feeling like a chore. It could make searching for clues very interesting and exciting!

Agreed, this engine has so much potential on puzzle/detective games.
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Find
dvow Offline

I'd like to see a horror game that deals with ghosts, murders, detectives, etc. Aliens, zombies, and monsters are fine and all. But what if there really was a shadow stalking you, and you occasionally saw it in the corner of your eye? Or you spotted, briefly, some transparent, shifting ghost in the far distance, or saw objectives and pictures subtly changing and rearranging themselves around you? A real haunting horror adventure game would be awesome. It would also open up much more creative ways to die.
09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Find
Hertston Offline

Threads: 0

Hi all,

Interesting thread, with some great suggestions. I totally agree regarding detective games, if I've ever seen an engine suited to them this is it. On the flipside, though.. Frictional have shown themselves to be masters of the survival horror genre; it's not true perhaps that Amnesia is universally considered the best game in that genre to date, but a great many people - including some of the more significant reviewers - do just that. It would be a great shame not to see at least on attempt to surpass Amnesia before moving on.

My dream scenario would perhaps be Frictional getting the license for a computer version of the CoC RPG (not 'just' a Cthulhu mythos game, like Dark Corners of the Earth), but I fear that would be rather beyond their budget and resources. That said, I suspect that would sell like hot-cakes, and the concept might be enough to tempt investors.
09-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Find
khawaja07 Offline

Threads: 9

Please no more big Puzzles like in the Penumbra Series and in Detective Games so I HATE them !, liked Amnesia because it was MORE STREAMLINED with the horror' Story rather than puzzles..
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Keep the puzzles!

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Website Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2

An expansion of Amnesia (great engine, great environments, etc... why waste it?). I'm just interested in seeing what the twisted minds at Frictional can come up with next.

Spoiler below!
First the rabid dog master in the Kennels in Black Plague, and now an invisible but hungry monster that will make you permanently afraid of knee-deep water... two terrifying experiences that aren't ever even seen.
09-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Find
spung3 Offline

I would say they should stick to what they're good at, which is horror. They're masters at it.

In terms of setting, it would be interesting for them to attempt some kind of 'stuck in a dream' kind of deal. Alternatively the player could be stuck plugged into a matrix. Both offer similar advantages. It's a world with no rules and the only limit the devs have would be from the narrative they think up. Imagine thinking you were getting to grips with the enviroment then bam, you go through a door and you're in a completely different place and time with unknown dangers and foes.
09-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Find