Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does the Cistern work?
tacc Offline

Threads: 5
How does the Cistern work?

I played through the game 2 times and something about the Cistern is weird.
The first time:
I'm sure that I turned a Valve two times before the Organic stuff and the Lurker appeared. I think it happened before I turned the third Valve (the one with the bridge).

The second time:
I tried everything but the Organic stuff and the Lurker just didn't appear at all. Even after I turned two of the Valves several times (the third one just didn't unlock again). Nothing happened (except the Wind effect). I was able to enter the sewer however.

I thought it was supposed to work like this:
Turned first Valve:
Area getting darker, wind effect and all that stuff.

Turned second Valve:
Area getting even darker and so on.

Turned third Valve:
Organic stuff and Lurker appear.

But obviously it doesn't work that way. I don't even understand why it's possible to turn some Valves several times. You can't turn it a second time immediately but after some time [or after doing something] it's possible again. Might have something to do with turning the Steam Valve multiple times.
09-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Find
Commando Peach Offline

Threads: 2
RE: How does the Cistern work?

I turned all three, each in sequence, and it did get darker, but I never experienced the lurker and organic stuff (though I can't say I wasn't expecting it the whole time XD ). Maybe this is one of those things that is altered if you have died...?
09-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Find
Klarden Offline

Threads: 3

love seeing "Steam Valve" in your post. makes you think about something else
anyway, i did not have organic stuff on my playthrough. as Peach said, it might have something to do with you dying/having a sanity level or some other not-actually-random stuff
09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Website Find
fruitsaladninja Offline

Threads: 0

hmm i didnt get the organic stuff, i think i heard a lurker too but could safely pass through water wihtout injury
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Find
SmokeSum Offline

Threads: 7

I noticed when i first enter the room and go for first Valve next to the chamber that get filled with water, i saw a splash in the water...first i thought it was the water lurker so i trew a stone but no movement.
When i turned the valve the dark wind appeared and when i try to jump back i felled inside the water, first thought was like: SHIT!!! NOOOO!!!! but when i walked true the water nothing happend and i lost me sence of being afraid there, so i run true water like it was fun to do Tongue

BTW: What the hell is inside the chamber getting filled with water?
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Find
dvow Offline

Threads: 1

I never came across any organic stuff. It just got darker. Also I quickly figured out there is no lurker there. It's just something put there to frighten you. Something does splash around, but as far as I know it doesn't chase you or attack you. This entire realization made the entire area kind of boring.
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Find
Kim Offline

No one else had the fish (piranhas?) that seems to hurt you when you get close?
09-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Find
MassacrMan Offline

Threads: 3

I actually heard the lurkers grownling/groaning sound when I saw the water splash, but it was just to freak you out. He isn't there, also I heard some man groaning and screaming from what sounds like inside the box the water flows into....I'm assuming he was drowning...
09-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Find
Jack Offline

I turned first valve, then second valve. I left area. After some time I came back and turned second valve again. Then organic stuff spawned (not lurker), and I left the area. Then I continued and I finished whole game without passing the bridge (the note "Bridge must be lowered to proceed" stayed in mementos till the end.) Also I did not have to do some puzzless like putting pipes.
09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Website Find
kastanok Offline

Huh... I just remembered, having played it twice, that the fleshy growths only appeared on my first play through. I imagine its appearance is linked to your play style in some way.

As for the voice, I get the impression it was someone still living in a torture chamber way below and every time I turned a switch, they got flooded with more water. Water cascading, pounding over their head and shoulders and rising up around him until, with the final valve released, it rose above is head... and he would cry no more.

09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Website Find