Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a Talented Scripter (Willing To Pay)
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30
Need a Talented Scripter (Willing To Pay)

Need a very talented scripter, who can do complex scripts that I can't do.

Just pm me if you're interested! Big Grin

04-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Need a Talented Scripter (Willing To Pay)

Why not just ask here at the forum every time you need some code?
What are you working on?

04-22-2016, 01:21 AM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

(04-22-2016, 01:21 AM)Daemian Wrote: Why not just ask here at the forum every time you need some code?
What are you working on?
This:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-black-eagl...he-arrival

04-22-2016, 02:26 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

The first point still stands though - you don't necessarily need to pay people to code for you when the Engine is basic, welcoming and relatively flexible with its events and sequences. You can make some very dramatic things with the code you already have, just a matter of implementing it the right way. While I'm sure someone will come around and express interest, coding, at least in Amnesia, is fairly linear and preset. As dramatic as you could make a monster appear, it is still calling SetEntityActive(); every time.

Create a baseline for your code, then add to it.

BEGIN SEQUENCE
    Player enters room
    Lights off
    SetActive "Key_1"
    SetUseCallback "Key_1", "Door_1"
END SEQUENCE

BEGIN SEQUENCE
    Player enters room
    Lights flicker
    Lights off
    if Lantern == off
         TimerAdd "lantern_on", 2 seconds
    end if
    TimerAdd "scary_sounds", 20 seconds //if player still in room, play some distant sounds
    SetSanity -10.0f
    PlaySound "breathing"
    PlayMusic "ambient_music"
    AddJournalNote "find_the_exit"
    SetActive "Key_1"
    SetUseCallback "Key_1", "Door_1"
END SEQUENCE

If necessary, go to the Engine Scripts page and actually read through some of the things you could do. Write down some of the sequences and events you could create which are hopefully more unique. You don't need to have the most, the best, the most custom, or most elaborate code - it's what you do and how you present it to the Player!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Don't pay others for what you could do yourself", since it's completely up to you to pay others to code for you. I'm just saying that you don't need to pay, since you can ask then add or append to your coding needs.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016, 05:58 AM by Romulator.)
04-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

@Romulator
I would disagree,
while many of your points are true I wouldn't say that Amnesia's scripting is "basic".
Yes, many people use it in the most simple ways possible, there is space for large and complex systems.

It's not:
"You don't need people to code for you because it's just pulling stuff out of the engine scripts documentation."

It's:
"You DO need people to code for you if you want to create your own gameplay mechanics."

If you're doing something that has never been done before, you will need your own function and your own base.

A good example would be a project that I'm currently part of:
While we do use normal Amnesia, we have custom functions that are highly complex just to be able to create a puzzle such as completely programmable machine.
04-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I don't know, according to his demo, this is a regular mansion+grunt cs so far.
With screaming corpses spawning over the player and such, it doesn't seem like he needs to code much I'm afraid.

04-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

seems so, but that he may be intending to step it up.

also even if you can script yourself, that does not always mean you have the time to do so. Adding more people gives you some challenges with communication and work management, but if done right can result in you getting more time to focus on the things that matter the most to you.
04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

(04-22-2016, 12:07 PM)Daemian Wrote: I don't know, according to his demo, this is a regular mansion+grunt cs so far.
With screaming corpses spawning over the player and such, it doesn't seem like he needs to code much I'm afraid.
The full version is entirely different. The demo was pretty much just a teaser.

04-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

If the demo is misleading as to what the final version will be, you would be better off taking it down.
04-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

(04-23-2016, 10:13 PM)WALP Wrote: If the demo is misleading as to what the final version will be, you would be better off taking it down.

I highly agree. Demos are intended to give the audience an idea of what to expect. If you give us one thing but then say "HEY HERE'S SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT", you're treating your audience with a great disrespect.

It's possible to do something like with what was intended for PT. While the demo for Silent Hills did give us something really awesome, it was stated the final product would be different. It works in this case because the devs are letting us see what they can do technically and the kind of horror to except. We know the full release (cries inside) is not going to be filled with light hearted imagery or Lovecraftian-style scares. It's very real and very visceral.

Your demo, as Daemian pointed out, is very typical of Amnesia mods: "a regular mansion+grunt cs". If you plan on doing something entirely different from that, then please show us.

Not only are you doing the audience a great disservice by holding back, you're doing yourself a disservice. A lot of people ignore these "mansion+grunt cs" mods because they are so dime-a-dozen and no one wants to waste their time going through something they've seen plenty of times before.

TL : DR - gives us a demo that really truly shows what you're looking to create, even if you have to tear it down and completely start over for the full version.

And to get my rant back to the topic at hand, honestly you're better off trying to figure out the scripting on your own. It'll save you that money to put toward something else, and plus there is a very helpful community right here at your fingertips! Big Grin

I myself have done a huge chunk of scripting for my own mod, and whenever I get stuck or come across something too complex, I reach out to the fabulous friends I've made here, and trust me they are a group of lifesavers (hearts to Rom, Tesseract, and Flawless).

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2016, 12:34 AM by AGP.)
04-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Find