Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Monsters shouldn't have distinctive sounds
Macil Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Monsters shouldn't have distinctive sounds

I disagree with the OP. In fact, I couldn't disagree more.

I think attaching a distinctive growl and music is perfect. I think for a lot of people this results is a "oh sh--" moment (because you know exactly what it means), followed by panic and scrambling to find cover. If the meetings were random, I think this would become more frustrating -- and not to mention, harder to pace from a design/story standpoint (since you won't know when your players are going to encounter something).

I think its a requirement that the player has moments where they feel "safe" -- because they are aware of when a monster is around via the growl/music. This lets them muster some courage to continue and balances out the experience (highs and lows).

This ties into the fact that the game is fairly "easy" -- in that, monsters have poor vision and its not difficult to hide from them. If they were smarter and killed you frequently, I think you'd get desensitized and lose all sense of terror ("oh great, another monster -- whatever") The moment the player gets frustrated is the moment they get "brought out" of the game -- you want to keep them immersed and make them forget they're in front of a computer screen.

The story/atmosphere crafted by Frictional is a fragile beast and adding random encounters I think would require a major shift in design philosophy. I read their blog and its clear their focus is more on creating an "experience" using video games as a medium, rather than creating a traditional "game".

I understand the point, though -- that the "known" factor of the growl/chase music gets old after awhile. However, I think its quite effective for at least the first play-through, since the triggers are unknown (and I would argue subsequent play-throughs if you keep "meta-thinking" to a minimal).

I'd rather see new venues/modules/levels/whatever than replay the same old stuff with "random" monsters.
10-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

If you really wanted to change the sounds and music of a monster, just go into the model editor and load up the monster and then just start deleting and/or replacing sounds! Big Grin

10-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Find
Mjarr Offline

Threads: 0

(10-12-2010, 11:48 PM)Macil Wrote: I think attaching a distinctive growl and music is perfect. I think for a lot of people this results is a "oh sh--" moment (because you know exactly what it means), followed by panic and scrambling to find cover. If the meetings were random, I think this would become more frustrating -- and not to mention, harder to pace from a design/story standpoint (since you won't know when your players are going to encounter something).

It doesn't need to be completely random, but in areas in which you are aware that there are supposed to be enemies around (the prison being one example) having some small random factor when simply wandering around could work, or adding small delay with the scripts so that sometimes when you do X it takes few additional seconds before something happens. The lack of 'life' around certain events to some degree is what slightly hurts the atmosphere, as even if you try very hard to not pay attension to small details you can tell what's ambience and what's not after one hour or two, so you know you are safe even if you just heard someone getting butchered couple of rooms away as there is no trademark BLEARGH sound anywhere, until you wander to some set piece and for me it was like this: wander around carefully, look at the enviroment, take a 'guess' something happesn the moment I touch this door and "BLE..." and I'm already hiding at the next room and wondering could he wander away already because it was way too obvious BLERGABOO scene. I am referring to the cellar in the back hall which was pitch black and that one specific door, now imagine if my only warning would've been ingame idle growls, footsteps and the music. It would've been startling to say the least and resulted into brief, tense run Luke run- sequence.

Sure it's difficult problem from design point of view how to handle, but by no means impossible.
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Find
Sketch Offline

I wouldn't want anything changed. Frankly, I was grateful for any type of warning that one was incoming...the game was terrifying enough as it was!
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Mjarr, just sounds like you were roleplaying a much more determined, methodical, and neurotically prepared Daniel, the kind of character that always survives in horror movies unless they have to nobly sacrifice themselves at some point.

Which is of course different to the way others have played. Possibly that's what different difficulties are for, but you appeared to have quite enjoyed the game, and possibly someone will make more challenging gameplay in a mod for you to try.
10-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Find
Mjarr Offline

(10-14-2010, 10:49 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Mjarr, just sounds like you were roleplaying a much more determined, methodical, and neurotically prepared Daniel

That could be part of the problem as ultimately it's rather difficult to jump into someone else's character especially when you have no real knowledge of the person and then comes the problem of individual reactions. I've said this couple of times but just for the sake of example here's tl;dr edition: I, as a person, is difficult to get truly scared in real sense of the word and hence I am poor subject to be used in comparasion what is scary and what is not even when I do understand it's very subjective matter. Now due the way Amnesia backstory and storytelling works out it easily gives the player a reason to fill in some gaps and probably speculate things to themselves until you find corresponding diaries or letters which implies otherwise or on rare moments, what you sort of expected.

Now, this might be just me but I would consider it common sense to pay attension (including the enviroment itself, listening carefully, moving around carefully etc) if you're stranded alone in an enviroment that is rather hostile and make certain precautions to keep you alive as I doubt Daniel would've lost his ability to think things through, and this results why I consider the "too much information" one culprit - even though there are occasions where it works well - why Amnesia occasionally gives slightly artificial feeling about do X prepare for Y. The bedroom scene in Back Hall was something that gave me a split second panic as even though the door and BLEARGH sound were obvious giveaways, it was rather unlikely place to wander in for such event. Sure after the split second I realised I'd beter hide in the closet, but atleast it gave me some positive reaction in very twisted way. It also works the other way around as in some places where nothing really happens even when you expect it (The Study room being one example) made me wonder if I am being slightly paranoid. Now the point is that while I overall enjoyed the game, the specific moments which I enjoyed the most were usually something that were more or less unexpected. It was the same with Penumbra series.

Maybe some custom story makers could take this as interesting hint, or maybe I should take some time to learn how to use the editor and make something of my own Tongue
10-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Find
Lyssa Offline

I agree that the noises can hinder the immersion to a degree.

I dont think the answer would be to remove them altogether, however. As it has been pointed out - those sounds are great for making you poo your pants when you hear them.

I think the trick is unpredictability. We all generally agree that after 2-3 hours of playing you get used to how it works and start to feel safer. So my answer to that? Just after you know the player is getting used to things, throw them an enemy that doesnt growl when he spawns. Maybe have it sneak up on the player, or do something totaly out of character.

That then throws the player back into uncertainty for the next hour or so. Suddenly those ambient footstep noises really could be a monster. And then you're hiding at every corner again like you were when the game first started.
10-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Find
iNEXSERTiON Offline

Threads: 2

I strongly disagree. The sounds are a HUGE part of the game. The sounds and motions are some of the scariest ever.

Every time the sounds plays, you instantly know you're screwed. So you then panic and try to hide which adds tension and fright. I'm happy with it 100%.
10-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Find
AceDauntless Offline

Threads: 5

I know i loved the sounds, for one they gave me a couple seconds warning. Second they scared the CRAP out of me! That white noise, high pitched droning whine that comes on whenever a monster attacked literally scared my balls off.
10-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Find