Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Making flashbacks
Hooumeri Offline

Threads: 11
Making flashbacks

Hey, could someone explain in detail how to add flashbacks to your own custom story.

I've added an area, which triggers the flashback. I've created a category and an entry for the flashback. But I still cant get the text to be seen.. Weird.. I tried to look at other maps but I couldnt make it work, help me please :p
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Making flashbacks

Yeah i have the same problem, copied the original flashback file and have edited the sounds to fit my story, but the text will not show...
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Did you specified the flashback category and the entry in the flashback file?

01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Website Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6

Oh i just got it to work Big Grin.

In your .lang file write something like this:
<CATEGORY Name="Flashbacks">
<Entry Name="Murder_Cellar1">bla bla bla your text</Entry>
<Entry Name="Murder_Cellar2"> and more text</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

and in the .flash file write something like this:
<Flashback>
<Voices>
<Voice VoiceSound="" EffectSound="fb_sfx_02_journey.ogg" TextCat="" TextEntry="" />
<Voice VoiceSound="" EffectSound="insanity_baby_cry1.ogg" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="Murder_Cellar1" />
<Voice VoiceSound="" EffectSound="00_cuts.ogg" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="Murder_Cellar2" />
</Voices>
</Flashback>

That worked for me, wasn't that hard, my problem was that I had to forget to save my .lang file after the changes Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM by Vradcly.)
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

Threads: 20

How are where do I create .flash files? And can someone explain the file to me?

Thanks in advance.Smile

:Work In Progress:
Insanity
07-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(07-21-2011, 08:32 PM)JoeBradleyUK Wrote: How are where do I create .flash files? And can someone explain the file to me?

Thanks in advance.Smile

First, make a .txt file and change it's extenstion to .flash. (Example: Daflash.flash)Then, open it with any text editor, I find notepad to be a good one to use. I am just going to breakdown what the stuff below means.

<Flashback>
    <Voices>
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/Narration_01.ogg" EffectSound="Ambience.ogg" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="Sample_01" />
    </Voices>
</Flashback>

VoiceSound is the voice that talks in the flashback, the sound is found in the folder lang/eng/voices/flashbacks.
EffectSound is the sound file that will play in the background, think of like chains rattling or footsteps.
TextCat is the category your subtitles will be in.
TextEntry is the subtitles shown.

Remember you can have multiple of these <Voice/> lines like shown in one of the real Amnesia flashbacks; they will play in order with no pauses in between I believe. The .flash file is to be saved in the "flashbacks" folder, which you will have to create inside your custom story and you also need to create the lang/eng/voices/flashbacks folders.

Then, you need to have a flashback area in your .map file that plays the .flash file.

<Flashback>
    <Voices>
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscapebs_01.ogg" EffectSound="fb_sfx_15_girl_hole.ogg" TextCat="" TextEntry="" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_01.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_01" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_02.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_02" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_03.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_03" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_04.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_04" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_05.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_05" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_06.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_06" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscapeas_06.ogg" EffectSound="fb_sfx_15_girl_hole.ogg" TextCat="" TextEntry="" />
    </Voices>
</Flashback>

P.S sorry if I'm not a good teacher, because I'm really not :/

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2011, 02:18 AM by Juby.)
07-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

(07-22-2011, 02:06 AM)Juby Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 08:32 PM)JoeBradleyUK Wrote: How are where do I create .flash files? And can someone explain the file to me?

Thanks in advance.Smile

First, make a .txt file and change it's extenstion to .flash. (Example: Daflash.flash)Then, open it with any text editor, I find notepad to be a good one to use. I am just going to breakdown what the stuff below means.

<Flashback>
    <Voices>
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/Narration_01.ogg" EffectSound="Ambience.ogg" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="Sample_01" />
    </Voices>
</Flashback>

VoiceSound is the voice that talks in the flashback, the sound is found in the folder lang/eng/voices/flashbacks.
EffectSound is the sound file that will play in the background, think of like chains rattling or footsteps.
TextCat is the category your subtitles will be in.
TextEntry is the subtitles shown.

Remember you can have multiple of these <Voice/> lines like shown in one of the real Amnesia flashbacks; they will play in order with no pauses in between I believe. The .flash file is to be saved in the "flashbacks" folder, which you will have to create inside your custom story and you also need to create the lang/eng/voices/flashbacks folders.

Then, you need to have a flashback area in your .map file that plays the .flash file.

<Flashback>
    <Voices>
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscapebs_01.ogg" EffectSound="fb_sfx_15_girl_hole.ogg" TextCat="" TextEntry="" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_01.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_01" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_02.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_02" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_03.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_03" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_04.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_04" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_05.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_05" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscape_06.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Flashbacks" TextEntry="CH02L15_GirlEscape_06" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/CH02L15_GirlEscapeas_06.ogg" EffectSound="fb_sfx_15_girl_hole.ogg" TextCat="" TextEntry="" />
    </Voices>
</Flashback>

P.S sorry if I'm not a good teacher, because I'm really not :/

Ok, I understood it well, the only thing i don't understand is the Textcat and Entry thing, is that in the lang file? Like:
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
        <Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Name1">Note To Self</Entry>
        <Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Text1">[voice Diary_NoteToSelf_01.ogg][br] Hello Nathaniel, [br][br]At the moment you're most likely reading this full of sweat and fear.[br]You cannot remember what you are doing here, which is a good thing, as it will only make you stronger. [br]At the moment, all you ever need to know is that you have to get out of here, anyway you can. [br]Also, there is a plague broken out in the castle, and you are the last known survivor, but there may be more. [br]One last thing, there are these...things. These monsterous creatures of the dark, lurking in the shadows. [br] [br] Your former self, [br] [br]Nathaniel. </Entry>

Kinda like that style ^^^^^?

Insanity
07-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(07-22-2011, 02:56 PM)JoeBradleyUK Wrote: Ok, I understood it well, the only thing i don't understand is the Textcat and Entry thing, is that in the lang file? Like:
        <Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Text1">[voice Diary_NoteToSelf_01.ogg][br] Hello Nathaniel, [br][br]At the moment you're most likely reading this full of sweat and fear.[br]You cannot remember what you are doing here, which is a good thing, as it will only make you stronger. [br]At the moment, all you ever need to know is that you have to get out of here, anyway you can. [br]Also, there is a plague broken out in the castle, and you are the last known survivor, but there may be more. [br]One last thing, there are these...things. These monsterous creatures of the dark, lurking in the shadows. [br] [br] Your former self, [br] [br]Nathaniel. </Entry>

Well, you are attempting to make a diary narration there, which is something totally different. For a flashback, it should be something along the lines of this. (in extra_english.lang)

<Entry Name="Diary_ndiary1">Hello Nathaniel</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_ndiary2">At the moment you're most likely reading this full of sweat and fear.</Entry>
    </CATEGORY>

Etc.., and in the .flash you would need this for my example:

<Flashback>
    <Voices>
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/Diary_ndiary1.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Journal" TextEntry="Diary_ndiary1" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/Diary_ndiary2.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Journal" TextEntry="Diary_ndiary2" />
    </Voices>
</Flashback>

Of course you can use do this multiple different ways; for instance, you could have the whole narration said in one .ogg file and then all you would need is one <Voice/> line and one line in the .lang file. Up to you on how to split it and such.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM by Juby.)
07-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

(07-22-2011, 03:41 PM)Juby Wrote:
(07-22-2011, 02:56 PM)JoeBradleyUK Wrote: Ok, I understood it well, the only thing i don't understand is the Textcat and Entry thing, is that in the lang file? Like:

Well, you are attempting to make a diary narration there, which is something totally different. For a flashback, it should be something along the lines of this. (in extra_english.lang)

<Entry Name="Diary_ndiary1">Hello Nathaniel</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_ndiary2">At the moment you're most likely reading this full of sweat and fear.</Entry>
    </CATEGORY>

Etc.., and in the .flash you would need this for my example:

<Flashback>
    <Voices>
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/Diary_ndiary1.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Journal" TextEntry="Diary_ndiary1" />
        <Voice VoiceSound="flashbacks/Diary_ndiary2.ogg" EffectSound="" TextCat="Journal" TextEntry="Diary_ndiary2" />
    </Voices>
</Flashback>

Of course you can use do this multiple different ways; for instance, you could have the whole narration said in one .ogg file and then all you would need is one <Voice/> line and one line in the .lang file. Up to you on how to split it and such.

Oh, you misunderstood, i knew that's diary narration but i was meaning the same concept as <CATERGORY> thing.

Insanity
07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Find
SLAMnesia Offline

Threads: 39

How can I script the visual effects for a flashback? the distorted view and purpleness ect Smile
07-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Find