Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Wow, combat is so frustrating
metroid Offline

Threads: 1
Wow, combat is so frustrating

Should I skip Overture and play Black Plague instead?
12-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Wow, combat is so frustrating

Protip: You're not supposed to fight.

And no, if you skip Overture, you'll have no idea about whats going on in Black Plague.
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Find
metroid Offline

Ha, I killed the mutant dog! I jumped on a crate and just kept hitting it. It did bite me once or twice. It wasn't a lot of fun actually.
And also I've found out that I can look at monsters with the corner of my eye without panicking. Why do I panick anyway? I think the game mechanics could be better.
The puzzles are not bad though, quite easy so far (I hate adventure games with obscure puzzles) And the atmosphere is nice. Is Black Plague better, gameplay-wise?
12-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Find
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9

(12-15-2010, 08:03 PM)metroid Wrote: Ha, I killed the mutant dog! I jumped on a crate and just kept hitting it. It did bite me once or twice. It wasn't a lot of fun actually.
I did the exact same thing when I played it lol.

(12-15-2010, 08:03 PM)metroid Wrote: And also I've found out that I can look at monsters with the corner of my eye without panicking. Why do I panick anyway? I think the game mechanics could be better.
I don't think that the panic is when there is a monster on the screen, but rather looking directly at a monster.
I could be wrong though.

(12-15-2010, 08:03 PM)metroid Wrote: The puzzles are not bad though, quite easy so far (I hate adventure games with obscure puzzles) And the atmosphere is nice. Is Black Plague better, gameplay-wise?
Definitely.
Black Plague is way better, especially because every single form of combat is completely removed.
12-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Website Find
metroid Offline

Oh god, I'm stuck. Don't know what to do with the bleeping radio and the huge generator Sad This is the problem of adventure games. If you're never stuck it's not challenging, and if you are then it's just not fun. Do want to consult a walkthrough, but I'll run around a bit, maybe I'll come up with something Sad
edit: haha, solved it. It was a bit too obscure for my liking though Confused
Also, I'm intending to kill all dogs. Can't let them lurk behind my back Cool
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 12:37 AM by metroid.)
12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Find
Alex7754 Offline

Threads: 6

no, don't skip it. Overture is alot better then black plague. just try not to use the combat. Only throw a rock to give you a chance to run while it recovers.
12-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Find
metroid Offline

OK, a question: is there any way to turn panick attacks off? They're useless, since I can look at monsters anyway (if they're near the edge of the screen)
12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Find
Bad doggie. DOWN. Offline

Threads: 2

Play Overture on easy difficulty, it's easily the worst of the series, especially gameplay wise, but you need to see it through for the plot of Black Plague to make any sense (the Wikipedia plot summary will not cut it). Overture is not better than Black Plague, Black Plague got the best reviews of the series and I completely agree with them, so don't listen to Alex >Big Grin As for panic attacks, just listened for growls when you're near a dog, or just look at them briefly then turn away so you won't panic. Just be thankful that it doesn't have a sanity meter like Amnesia does that makes your screen go all blurry.
12-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

Stop trying to win. This is more about the experience, not the combat.
12-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Find
metroid Offline

(12-16-2010, 05:41 AM)Bad doggie. DOWN. Wrote: As for panic attacks, just listened for growls when you're near a dog, or just look at them briefly then turn away so you won't panic.
You know, I think this is just more frustrating than scary.A note to developers: frustration kills fear very quickly.
Certain levels in the Thief series were scary without that useless gimmick.
And in System Shock 2 I had an assault rifle, a grenade launcher and a lightsaber but it still was scary.

Quote:Just be thankful that it doesn't have a sanity meter like Amnesia does that makes your screen go all blurry.
But I heard it's possible to turn insanity in Amnesia off, and this is what I'm going to do Cool Well, it depends on how it's implemented in Amnesia, but insanity in Dark Corners of the Earth was a big pain in the arse.

Quote:Stop trying to win. This is more about the experience, not the combat.
What do you mean "stop trying to win". Winning=finishing the game, no?
And don't take this wrong. On the whole, I'm enjoing the game.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM by metroid.)
12-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Find