Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gathering a team of modders for a BIG mod
IngvardM Offline

Threads: 1
Exclamation  Gathering a team of modders for a BIG mod

Hey guys, i was thinking of a mod idea that will continue the game.
The fore story:
Daniel, after killing Alexander was caught by the police and trialed for mass murder. During the trial he was proved insane, and placed into asylum for life.
Head doctor, then, going through Daniels personal belongings finds his diary and sends some man to find the only sphere left (the one that Daniel reattaches during the quest).
The story begins as Daniel wakes up form his usual nightmare in the asylum room, where another patient lives with him. He is hearing footsteps and sees a note that was shoved under the door. It is a late night and his roommate is still sleeping. The note reviles the fore-story and states "Thank you, Daniel, for this finding. For this I will let you live longer than the other patients. I ordered to kill you last of all." The door is closed and Daniel hears the footsteps again... More of the story will be reviled to moders only.
So in a few words this mod will have:
A huge asylum map with sewer system, very hard puzzles, a strong story line and of course many nightmares and hallucinations Wink
Team so far:
Story:
Puzzles:
Level editors:
Modelers:
Scripters:
Voice actors:
12-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Find
bigfoot Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Gathering a team of modders for a BIG mod

Sounds really cool in my opinion.

If I was more familiar with Amnesia scripting I would've helped you hehe.

Anyway Good luck and happy holidays ^^
12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Find
Alex7754 Offline

Threads: 6

I dont think its a good idea, not only because a mental asylum would be a very bad turn for the games style, but also because a continuation of amnesia is just frankly a bad idea, sorry that's offensive, its just, why wouldn't you just make your own game?

If you wanna do a game like this you best just make a new world and back story then continuing where frictional, who told and birthed the story, have ended it. Yeah, not all story's shouldn't have multiple adventures, but games like amnesia are told and what is told is the art of a story and you cant add to someone elses painting without smudging the wholeness and tune of it. If that makes sense.

Anyway, Im pretty sure In thos times, If you murdered and tortured so many people and children, Its off to the rope.. so what if your crazy and in need of professional help? im not sure they really cared to help the mentally ill back then. And Im really not sure what your thinking of when you mention police arresting him.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM by Alex7754.)
12-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Find
bigfoot Offline

Threads: 12

(12-24-2010, 10:30 AM)Alex7754 Wrote: I dont think its a good idea, not only because a mental asylum would be a very bad turn for the games style, but also because a continuation of amnesia is just frankly a bad idea, sorry that's offensive, its just, why wouldn't you just make your own game?

If you wanna do a game like this you best just make a new world and back story then continuing where frictional, who told and birthed the story, have ended it. Yeah, not all story's shouldn't have multiple adventures, but games like amnesia are told and what is told is the art of a story and you cant add to someone elses painting without smudging the wholeness and tune of it. If that makes sense.

Anyway, Im pretty sure In thos times, If you murdered and tortured so many people and children, Its off to the rope.. so what if your crazy and in need of professional help? im not sure they really cared to help the mentally ill back then. And Im really not sure what your thinking of when you mention police arresting him.

Hmm, I guess you are right.
But the story would be pretty cool for another game that's like amnesia.
12-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Find
Alex7754 Offline

yeah if done done well it would be great
12-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Find
Endrek03 Offline

Threads: 3

(12-24-2010, 10:30 AM)Alex7754 Wrote: Anyway, Im pretty sure In thos times, If you murdered and tortured so many people and children, Its off to the rope.. so what if your crazy and in need of professional help? im not sure they really cared to help the mentally ill back then. And Im really not sure what your thinking of when you mention police arresting him.

You can't begin to imagine how much I was thinking this when I was first reading this post.
This is taking place in, what . . . 1890 Russia? I don't think the "police" care much about trials and what not there.

Of course, we could take all that (honestly) useless background and throw it away, simply starting with "Daniel" (Quotation for emphasis. . . I also agree with Alex, no need to use Frictional games characters.) in the asylum.
. . . which. . . just means now you have an unknown character with an unknown background in an unknown location, or as I like to call it:
Square 1.
Allow me to introduce you to your theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXp3AMgbG6k

I don't mean to put your story down, nor does anyone here I imagine. It simply comes off as desperate need of refinement. Find out what your story is about and work in the character from there. As evident here, I can only imagine if you came out with this and announced it's about Daniel, more than 3/4ths of the community would be turned off by it.

Also . . .
(12-24-2010, 07:35 AM)IngvardM Wrote: More of the story will be reviled to moders only.
Moders will be reviled thoroughly. XD This made me laugh.
12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Find
IngvardM Offline

Threads: 1

LOL, well, at first i thought to make it a stand alone idea, but since there's so much fiction in the original game, i thought this may work just fine.
And to answer, why was a mass murderer put in asylum: the head doc. of the asylum has some powerful connections and so by his wish Daniel "bypassed" the rope. Also the doc. gets more and more crazy each day, which leads him to Alexander like state.
But anyway, thanks for your ideas. If some serious moders will arrive i can change the plot or make a new one not connected to the game.
12-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

What can you do besides be the "idea" guy Wink
12-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

I actually like the asylum environment idea, I think if it could be worked into the story well it would suit the general atmosphere and style of the original game.
12-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Find
Endrek03 Offline

Threads: 3

(12-24-2010, 01:10 PM)IngvardM Wrote: LOL, well, at first i thought to make it a stand alone idea, but since there's so much fiction in the original game, i thought this may work just fine.
That doesn't mean you can't fit in rich lore into your character and story instead. Smile

(12-24-2010, 01:10 PM)IngvardM Wrote: And to answer, why was a mass murderer put in asylum: the head doc. of the asylum has some powerful connections and so by his wish Daniel "bypassed" the rope. Also the doc. gets more and more crazy each day, which leads him to Alexander like state.
Try this:
The head doctor of the asylum heard about it Daniels doing, or if we're doing an all new story than he simply heard of the main characters doing. He researches the mansion and what happened there while the community or whomever is searching for Daniel.
When Daniel is finally caught he is put to death immediately, but the Doctor "donates" a large amount of money to the folk or whomever caught him to take Daniel off their hands. People don't argue with large sums of money, even when it comes to mass murder.
In your game, you can include the Doctors notes explaining that he was searching for Daniel as well and how he paid the large amount to receive him. Of course, this now puts more pressure on you to figure out WHY the Doctor wants him so bad. The original idea of killing him eventually might not flesh out so well.
Still, something to work with.
12-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Find