Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

We will see a new game soon?
tickldkfiifo Offline

Threads: 1
RE: We will see a new game soon?

I love all frictional games Horror games. But, I feel like its time to move on to something else. I understand that they are good at horror games but im getting tired of the penumbra and amnesia type game play. They need to vary it up a bit. Do we really wanna wait years for just another horror game with same base mechanics? I sure don't...
01-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

(01-08-2011, 11:48 PM)tickldkfiifo Wrote: I love all frictional games Horror games. But, I feel like its time to move on to something else. I understand that they are good at horror games but im getting tired of the penumbra and amnesia type game play. They need to vary it up a bit. Do we really wanna wait years for just another horror game with same base mechanics? I sure don't...

well, people don't have unlimited imagination and can't inovate all the time... and i bet another game with the same base mechanics would still be awesome.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM by kailip.)
01-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Find
Penumbra Offline

Threads: 7

(01-08-2011, 11:48 PM)tickldkfiifo Wrote: I love all frictional games Horror games. But, I feel like its time to move on to something else. I understand that they are good at horror games but im getting tired of the penumbra and amnesia type game play. They need to vary it up a bit. Do we really wanna wait years for just another horror game with same base mechanics? I sure don't...

I honestly wouldn't mind it if they tried something new. Yeah, I'd be thrilled if they make another horror game with similar game play and updated physics, but it would be interesting to see what else Frictional Games is capable of.

So far I've loved every game they've made (even the old 2d overhead game, I forget the name). At this point I feel as if Frictional Games can do no wrong.

But, since they're already working on HPL3 engine that means the next few games will have similar game play and physics. (I assume) I think they're planning on trying something new after a while though. I can't wait to see what they have in store. Big Grin
01-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

As much as I'm looking forward to their new game, I do believe anything within 6-12 months would be a bit too soon for it to be released. Smile

I'm just getting into making maps for Amnesia, and I think many will agree that we haven't seen the fruit of the community yet. Sure, there are some good maps, but the best are yet to come, imo. Smile

From what I've seen in the blog so far, I'm guessing we will see exteriors in the next game. ^^
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Find
gbee Offline

Spare a thought for those of us Linux PC gamers who don't really care for horror games but who still want something decent to play.

I loved Penumbra because it was different, well designed and it occasionally rewarded the player by letting them solve puzzles in their own way. Especially those puzzles involving construction, reaching places through manipulation of objects. Yes, I even loved Requiem.

I played Amnesia on the strength of Penumbra and though it was technically competent the gameplay was more restrictive and the story more 'horror' based. It made less use of the interaction that made Penumbra fun. Altogether I enjoyed Amnesia but I would not want to play it or another game like it again. I almost gave up on Amnesia for the same reason I gave up on Doom 3, the relentless march towards ever darker and more claustrophobic situations just gets boring for me. A lack of variety, a lack of respite and balance and most importantly no clear motivation for going forward into certain death/oblivion.

I want to see what else Frictional can do, something different but maybe building on the interactivity that was, to me, important to their first game but with more variety and positive reason to move forward and explore the game world. I keep thinking back to the very first time I played the original Tomb Raider and the constant wonder about what I might find around the next corner and how that contrasts with a game like Amnesia where instead I didn't really want to find out what was around the corner - I couldn't even explain why I should want to progress ever deeper.
01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(01-09-2011, 08:52 PM)gbee Wrote: I couldn't even explain why I should want to progress ever deeper.

If you couldn't get immersed, then I guess the game failed for you, because that was the point of Amnesia, immersion above all else. You stress that your enjoyment of a game hinges on strong mechanics, well, then it just wasn't for you. Frictional mentioned they want to push that emotional angle in their next game, but if it isn't horror, I'm (pretty) sure we can foresee a return of open-ended puzzles.
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

(01-09-2011, 08:52 PM)gbee Wrote: Spare a thought for those of us Linux PC gamers who don't really care for horror games but who still want something decent to play.

What makes you think that all Linux gamers have a tendency to dislike horror?
01-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Find
gbee Offline

(01-10-2011, 09:01 PM)Tottel Wrote:
(01-09-2011, 08:52 PM)gbee Wrote: Spare a thought for those of us Linux PC gamers who don't really care for horror games but who still want something decent to play.

What makes you think that all Linux gamers have a tendency to dislike horror?

Where did I say that? Certainly not in what you quoted, I think you've mis-read or mis-understood what I wrote.

I was making a point that there is very little choice of good games for linux. Frictional is one of the few developing great games for the platform, it would be nice to have some variety. If Frictional develop another horror game then those among us who don't really like horror games will have nothing to look forward to. On the other hand there are countless Windows (DirectX) games being released every year, there is no shortage of variety for Windows gamers. I'm sure a few new horror games will appear to ride on the success of Amnesia et al.
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Oh I see. Yes, I misunderstood you then. Sorry. Smile
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

Come on, just install windows. Linux is not meant for games.
01-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Find