Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Severe Weather In the US
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13
Severe Weather In the US

Nasty weather here lately. This does not bode well for the rest of Tornado Season.

For those here that may have been in the path of that horrible weather and all the tornados it spawned here recently, I hope that you, your families, and your friends are all okay. If you are one of the unfortunate ones that lost someone, I give you my deepest sympathies.

Those that watch these things all knew that there were signs pointing to an awful tornado season, despite the harshness of our winter, but I don't think anyone expected it to be this bad. I'm actually looking a little forward to next winter, since it's the only thing guaranteed to bring this dangerous weather to a screeching halt.

Be safe, everyone.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
04-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Severe Weather In the US

I'm happy that i live in the netherlands. No Earthquakes, No tornados.
04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

(04-29-2011, 12:30 PM)laser50 Wrote: I'm happy that i live in the netherlands. No Earthquakes, No tornados.

Lucky you. Smile

I just learned that a family friend had her house wiped out, though she and her children are okay.

It's just been confrimed that the most recent outbreak spawned 2 EF4s and 1 EF5. Three of the strongest type tornadoes spawned in one storm, when we normally go an entire season without seeing them. This is really starting to worry me.

04-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Find
Simpanra Offline

Threads: 28

My heart goes out to those affected, though luckily for me, living in the UK means the only tornados i ever see are metal ones with pilots flying nice and safe above me x3
04-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Find
envirovore Offline

Threads: 1

We had a tornado here in upstate NY last week even. It's been ~28 years or so since that's happened here. Granted, it was a small one, nothing near the scale that wiped out the southern half of the country.

We did manage to get some massive flooding however. Glad I live at the top of a good sized hill and away from the major rivers in our city.

alive we threaten everything
05-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Website Find
eiahmon Offline

(05-02-2011, 05:16 AM)envirovore Wrote: We had a tornado here in upstate NY last week even. It's been ~28 years or so since that's happened here. Granted, it was a small one, nothing near the scale that wiped out the southern half of the country.

We did manage to get some massive flooding however. Glad I live at the top of a good sized hill and away from the major rivers in our city.

I'm glad you're safe of dry ground. Smile Just be on the lookout for more funnels. Tornados and the thunderstorms that spawn them love hills.

05-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Find
envirovore Offline

(05-02-2011, 06:06 AM)eiahmon Wrote:
(05-02-2011, 05:16 AM)envirovore Wrote: We had a tornado here in upstate NY last week even. It's been ~28 years or so since that's happened here. Granted, it was a small one, nothing near the scale that wiped out the southern half of the country.

I'm glad you're safe of dry ground. Smile Just be on the lookout for more funnels. Tornados and the thunderstorms that spawn them love hills.

Thank you Smile Don't usually have to worry about tornados in this area often, mostly just a couple severe 'micro-burst' thunderstorms during the summer, and tons of lake effect snow in the winter.

Also, didn't mean to come off callous by skipping this earlier, but I hope your friend is able to get her shelter situation sorted out soon. Good to hear that you managed to dodge the bullet on those storms.

05-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Website Find
eiahmon Offline

(05-02-2011, 06:29 AM)envirovore Wrote: Also, didn't mean to come off callous by skipping this earlier, but I hope your friend is able to get her shelter situation sorted out soon. Good to hear that you managed to dodge the bullet on those storms.

Thanks Smile I'm glad for that too.

She was lucky. Forecasters gave a 24 minute warning, so she took her children and bailed. The EF5 hit her house, so they would not have survived had they stayed. We asked her if she wanted us to come get her and bring her back here (Her family lives in my area.) but she said that aid has been pouring in, so they should be okay.

And aren't microbursts fun? I've been through a few of those, and they can really dish out the damage.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM by eiahmon.)
05-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Find
envirovore Offline

(05-02-2011, 06:56 AM)eiahmon Wrote: She was lucky. Forecasters gave a 24 minute warning, so she took her children and bailed. The EF5 hit her house, so they would not have survived had they stayed. We asked her if she wanted us to come get her and bring her back here (Her family lives in my area.) but she said that aid has been pouring in, so they should be okay.

And aren't microbursts fun? I've been through a few of those, and they can really dish out the damage.

Ah, so had enough warning to get out safely then, good to hear. Shame about the loss of her house and all the belongings, but stuff is in the long run just stuff, at least her family is safe.

I love watching micro-bursts, but they get damn scary at times.

05-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Website Find