Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Whispers played backwards
Madness Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Whispers played backwards

Willbreaker Wrote:Bad theory overall, I had no way of telling that it was Swedish, I thought it'd be English, but you could hear that it was backwards. Just funny that it was Swedish.

/Breaker

Yeah, i had no friggin clue what he was saying=P I thought he was just mumbling or saying something vaguely in english Wink
04-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Find
Willbreaker Offline

Threads: 6

Shaamaan, it's alright, I think I enjoyed searching, and now I know what they screamed ;D.

Madness, are you Swedish as well? If so, then we could bust that theory.

/Breaker
04-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

lawl :p
they are just giving a subliminal walktrough of the game XD

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Find
SirRaven Offline

Threads: 0

that's really interesting, I could never understand what was said because the volume is so low on those voices. I always figured something was said in english but it was intentionally low and the text afterwards gave you a brief summary of it.

This reminds me of the dahaka in Prince of Persia 2 which says really funny things in backwards english.
04-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Find
darthvulture Offline

wow lol, nice findings, i have not played em backwards, maybe i shall Tongue

After Darkness, Comes Light.
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Find
SnackAttack Offline

dan21 Wrote:This is interesting. For those who don't know, your brain can register things like this even though it is played backwards. While you don't consciously recognize it, your subliminal mind processes the information. If it's in Swedish I don't think the effect is the same if you don't speak Swedish :-)

I don't think I can really disagree with this any more.

While you can pick up on back masking, it's generally nothing coherent, and often times your mind fills in the gaps. Generally speaking, you'll hear nothing until you're told what to listen for. A great example of this would be a professor that played Stairway to Heaven backwards for his class, then gave half the class a lyrics sheet that contained the supposed back masked track about Satan and his little tool shed, and the other half of the class was given what was more or less instructions on how to prepare his favorite breakfast food. The first run through yielded no results, nobody could really pick out more than a couple words here and there. Upon providing the lyric sheets, the entire class swore up and down that they heard exactly what was on their sheets not knowing that the other half of the class had a completely different set of lyrics.

The fact that these are Swedish back masks being played almost inaudibly, it's very doubtful that you're subconscious mind is picking anything up here. I think you're mixing up back masking and subliminal messages pertaining more to visual stimulation, like splicing a word into a single frame of a movie. You don't really catch it, but your subconscious does, and is a pretty different thing all together. If anything, the fact that you don't understand the whispers just adds to the creepy atmosphere.
04-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Find
Drock Offline

Yeah I actually found the isolated scream from HL2 as well, but I made it into a ringtone for one of my friends (he doesn't call often). They say a variety of things but it is with a muffled voice. You can hear "WHY?", "Oh God!", "Help Me!", and, quite muffled, "I don't wanna DIE" (but it sounds more like "I woe anna Die"). Dang it is very Night of the living Dead scary without the video game environment.

I really cannot wait until my download finishes for this one. I really enjoyed the demo. Fantastic job on the game guys!

[/quote]
Also, I DO believe there was something more besides "help me"... Not sure now, tis was a long time ago I played HL2.
[/quote]
04-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Find
Doffy90 Offline

Threads: 10

Im norwegian so I can understand Danish and Swedish as well. Tell me where to find them and I will listen! Tongue

PenumbrA

Pen = Pretty
Bra = Good

Norwegian version. :)
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Find
Schyzzo
Unregistered

Madness Wrote:
Willbreaker Wrote:Bad theory overall, I had no way of telling that it was Swedish, I thought it'd be English, but you could hear that it was backwards. Just funny that it was Swedish.

/Breaker

Yeah, i had no friggin clue what he was saying=P I thought he was just mumbling or saying something vaguely in english Wink

But in subliminar msg you dont really need to understand wht is happening. Ur brain can make even without your permission! lol

But I´m not saying that the sound is a SLM! In fact, when I heard, I though it was in no language at all, just demoniac whispers or something like that!
04-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Madness Offline

Will, yep, sure am Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2007, 03:28 PM by FROB182.)
04-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Find