Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[Suggestion] Game immersion...
Syntactica Offline

Threads: 1
[Suggestion] Game immersion...

I just came up with this idea and registered to share it, as I think it would be awesome to see it in a horror game; particularly one like Amnesia. It's to do with game realism...

The idea...
Basically, for users with headsets/microphones (most gamers thesedays!) there could be an 'increased realism' setting in options, which, if checked, would link the microphone input to the game. The effect? If you start making noise, it makes noise in game - based on the volume of noise being picked up by the microphone. This could translate to increased breathing, frights of terror, to outright screams; all of which would alert enemies to your presence.

So imagine, you're walking down a corridor... you start to get scared - and then you see an enemy, or hear a noise - and you WANT to yell or scream in real life - but you know that if you do, the enemy would hear you and undermine your hiding position!

The mic volume levels could be calibrated, and filter out background noise.

This simple feature would add so much immersion to the game, imo. And make it a much more interactive and scary experience.
05-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: [Suggestion] Game immersion...

Bro, I got news for you

Frictional always ignores these posts
05-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Website Find
Pojoman Offline

(05-06-2011, 11:23 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Bro, I got news for you

Bro, I got news for you

Your an asshole, let the man express an idea regardless of if you think Frictional ignores these posts, maybe some people unlike yourself actually have creative ideas that Frictional may want to hear about and possibly integrate into an upcoming release. Its an interesting and creative idea that with some thought could maybe even become a feature, and if it doesn't the thought of the idea could spark even better ideas. Think about that before discouraging this person who actually contributed creative ideas while you just sat on your fat ass and told him to not bother saying anything.
05-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Find
Gharren Offline

Sounds definitely like an good idea to me.

(05-06-2011, 11:23 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Bro, I got news for you

Do they?

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2011, 02:17 AM by Gharren.)
05-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Website Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

Interesting idea but with so many possible problems it would have to be a option rather than a key feature of the gameplay.
05-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Find
x0xChelseax0x Offline

Threads: 0

Personally I like the idea, although it does sound terribly, terribly cruel!

But as Bek already stated, it would be best to have it as an option.
05-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Find
Redeemer Offline

Threads: 2

Here's another idea: turn off the pause key. I found myself abusing the pause button whenever I was startled by something, giving me an unfair advantage over the creatures roaming the castle. It would be much better if the player could only pause when he's safe and in the light.

05-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Website Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

Heh, it'd be funny if there was a short tutorial section which made the player walk through some *how to use the pause button* drills, but neglected to mention it disabled when there's a monster there or something. *Panic spamming the pause button* OH GOD IT'S NOT WORKING FFFUUUUUUU
05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:Bro, I got news for you

Your an asshole, let the man express an idea regardless of if you think Frictional ignores these posts, maybe some people unlike yourself actually have creative ideas that Frictional may want to hear about and possibly integrate into an upcoming release. Its an interesting and creative idea that with some thought could maybe even become a feature, and if it doesn't the thought of the idea could spark even better ideas. Think about that before discouraging this person who actually contributed creative ideas while you just sat on your fat ass and told him to not bother saying anything.

Did you really waste 5 minutes of your life just to flame me?\

I'm sorry that I find the random people who register just to post ONCE annoying
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2011, 09:00 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
05-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Website Find
pa11 Offline

Threads: 0

(05-06-2011, 11:16 PM)Syntactica Wrote: I just came up with this idea and registered to share it, as I think it would be awesome to see it in a horror game; particularly one like Amnesia. It's to do with game realism...

The idea...
Basically, for users with headsets/microphones (most gamers thesedays!) there could be an 'increased realism' setting in options, which, if checked, would link the microphone input to the game. The effect? If you start making noise, it makes noise in game - based on the volume of noise being picked up by the microphone. This could translate to increased breathing, frights of terror, to outright screams; all of which would alert enemies to your presence.

So imagine, you're walking down a corridor... you start to get scared - and then you see an enemy, or hear a noise - and you WANT to yell or scream in real life - but you know that if you do, the enemy would hear you and undermine your hiding position!

The mic volume levels could be calibrated, and filter out background noise.

This simple feature would add so much immersion to the game, imo. And make it a much more interactive and scary experience.

It is a nice ideia. And I have another idea to complement this one:

It was nice that Frictional Games could begin to make proof of concept's or alpha releases testing features submitted by fans. For example, creating a generic level using the Level Editor with this mic feature and release it to the public to see how people would react to that. If the general opinion was great it could be made into to next game.

(05-07-2011, 05:03 AM)Redeemer Wrote: Here's another idea: turn off the pause key. I found myself abusing the pause button whenever I was startled by something, giving me an unfair advantage over the creatures roaming the castle. It would be much better if the player could only pause when he's safe and in the light.

Oh man, it would be awesome. If I already found that the no save option in Justine expansion on Steam was a great feature because it unabled me to take a break during the game session, if there was no pause option, it would be the ultimate horror experience. Big Grin
05-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Find