Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quick question, DDS supoprt
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20
Quick question, DDS supoprt

Just a quick question, I haven't used the HPL Engine in some time.

I love the DDS Format for textures, And just want to double check if Amnesia uses/supports it.

I know there was a link on the wiki about file names but not sure if it covers file formats.
07-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Find
nkmol Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Quick question, DDS supoprt

yes it does support DDS files Smile
the original textures are .dds Wink

i actually have a question Tongue what is the differents between just a simple .PNG file and .DDS file?
07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

(07-02-2011, 12:39 PM)nkmol Wrote: yes it does support DDS files Smile

i actually have a question Tongue what is the differents between just a simple .PNG file and .DDS file?

PNG good: High quality images. The compression is lossless.
PNG bad: Takes lots of system RAM and CPU time to process.

JPG good: Takes less storage space than PNG. Performance may be a bit better than PNG. I'm not sure I can tell a difference.
JPG bad: Still chews up a lot of system RAM and CPU time. Lossy compression, so the image is degraded... but can still be quite good image quality, if you save them at a high quality compression ratio. (You knew that anyway) All in all... if I must choose between JPG and PNG, I will nearly always choose PNG.

DDS good: Processed directly by the video card, thus relieving a lot of the strain on the system RAM and CPU.
DDS bad: Lossy compression (there is u8888 compression, etc. which is lossless, but file sizes become prohibitive). Files in dxt1c format (the compression which yields the smallest file size) still take a lot of disk space.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2011, 01:23 PM by Nye.)
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20

(07-02-2011, 12:39 PM)nkmol Wrote: yes it does support DDS files Smile

I think I can actually answer that a lil differently

PNG, is a raw texture format, that supports high quality and alpha gradient. making it ideal for program icons etc

Its used best for lossless data that requires no decompiler to be read, unfortunately being the way it is requires heavier resources to render in large formats

DDS is a specialized Image file that is compressed like JPG, however they do not create graphical artifacts and faults like JPG, during compression some artifacts are generated but uses several options that are imbedded inside the DDS file which tells the graphics card how to render and processes it.

DDS is extremely optimized and ideal for 3D games and gives high quality for low resources and low file size, making it ideal for almost all situations as it supports many other features too (including pre-generated mipmaps)
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2011, 02:28 PM by DIGI Byte.)
07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Find