Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Specular
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Specular

" Uh yes it is possible in reality, go look at any coloured metal or metal like object (christmas balls for instance), and compare the highlights they receive under a white light, to that of a piece of polished wood or something. "

Yes, memory capabilities and honestly, it doesn't look natural to me on the ornament, every light reflects the color that it produces. if a red light shines on a red object, the glow will be vibrant red. if it is a red light on a blue surface, the glow will get purplish, understand? So when you shine white on a surface, you get a lighter and lighter version until the reflection glows white. Save the spec map and try it in the level editor with a pointlight similar to a candle. The light in the modelview is white. understand the issue here? Not including renders in the modeling program are never the best examples. Models I make in Maya don't look half the same as the HPL2 engine. But if it bothers you that there can't be hint of gold in the glow, either dim the specular map for the modelview or don't do it at all =\ Just tried to help. And really, it's not a noticable difference.
" I'm guessing this functionality was left out of the engine since grayscale specular uses less memory or something, oh well! "

Also, it's not making the light grayscale, as I pointed out above, It is picking out shade for different levels of reflection. The whiter a section is, the brighter it will shine. The dimmer/blacker, the less shine. it is not setting it for colors.
Just trust me. it will be different in the end. it just matters on what color your lightsource is.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012, 05:42 AM by Statyk.)
01-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Specular - by Sel - 01-21-2012, 03:16 AM
RE: Specular - by Statyk - 01-21-2012, 03:53 AM
RE: Specular - by Sel - 01-21-2012, 04:09 AM
RE: Specular - by Statyk - 01-21-2012, 04:13 AM
RE: Specular - by Sel - 01-21-2012, 04:17 AM
RE: Specular - by Statyk - 01-21-2012, 05:37 AM
RE: Specular - by Acies - 01-21-2012, 06:40 AM
RE: Specular - by palistov - 01-21-2012, 09:30 AM