Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Monster Problems?!
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: Monster Problems?!

(11-24-2012, 03:25 AM)Kraton Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 01:45 AM)JenniferOrange Wrote: I'm surprised to see a lot of you have been feeling this way for some time. So, all that have posted are more into either jump scares or atmosphere, yes? It's great to see other people understand my point of view. :]
If that's the way people feel, especially those who want the game to make the player's own imagination fuck with them, then FCM (full conversion mod) the game I've been working on should be something everyone here will like. My only problem is not enough time to work on it (I am an intern in a game company atm which has me working at least 40 hour weeks) and my creativity keeps running out on me (that and my partner, who is mostly just the idea man, hasn't been working one bit, so I'm having to come up with everything myself).

The story I've been working on focuses a lot on story itself, as well as minimalistic views towards the use of jump scares and monsters. Most of the things that would make the player jump in my game should be things that might or might not be witnessed by each individual player; things like events that happen based on current sanity in any point of the game (thus being dynamic), as well as a lot of eerie sounds barely on the edge of conscious hearing, making the player have a hard time knowing if their mind is fucking with them or if they're really hearing things, and most importantly making all the details of the scary things happening in the game things that the player has to really focus on to see exactly what's going on. By limiting the player's perceptions a bit more than most people do in their CSs, it forces the player to get "closer" to the game, and become more immersed. The most important part of my FCM is that monsters will be scarce as things will get scarrier and more freaky shit will happen as the player delves further into the madness of the story. If the player plays it safe and stays in a well lit area, not doing much ingame, then scary things won't happen; but if the player is attempting to progress the game, they would have to press forward into creepy scary places and essentially risk going insane, which directly relates to how much sanity events happen, making the game even more scary.

I am hoping to get as much time as I can to work on my game, but progress feels like it's just going so slowly that it's almost pointless to even set an expected completion date.
Why did you revive the thread? Why do people always revive threads?

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
11-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Monster Problems?! - by JenniferOrange - 01-28-2012, 02:12 AM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by Wooderson - 01-28-2012, 02:20 AM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by dizla - 01-28-2012, 02:32 AM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by dph314 - 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by BlueFury - 01-28-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by SonOfLiberty796 - 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by Hunter of Shadows - 01-28-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by JenniferOrange - 01-29-2012, 01:45 AM
RE: Monster Problems?! - by Kraton - 11-24-2012, 03:25 AM