Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What was the last Film you watched?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: What was the last Film you watched?

(02-02-2013, 08:22 PM)Acies Wrote: I think Quentin Tarantino uses an excess of blood in an attempt to call it "art". Viewed in a harsh light I think the comment Bridge made isn't unique for "Django", but applies to all of his movies. I can still appreciate his movies though; queer characters, strange (bordering on comically odd) situations and massive amounts of unnecessary violence. :]

Edit: Pulp fiction delivers some nice dialogue scenes (inglorious bastards as well, but not to the same extent) which is why I think it's above the rest of his movies.

Believe me, I'm not one of those people that complains about needless violence in a Tarantino movie. His films are pretty much glorified cartoons and I respect that. As stupid as it is, I enjoy Pulp Fiction. I think it's overrated, but at least it has no higher aspirations than being, well... Pulp Ficton. I'm not exactly sure what Tarantino was going for with Django but a good deal of it felt like it was intended to be serious. Trying to steer clear of spoilers, but just to be sure:

Spoiler below!
The movie takes place right before the Civil War when racism was at its peak. Tarantino seemed to want Django to be a poignant portrait of slavery 1860s USA when it just wasn't compatible with the groundwork he laid earlier in the movie. The massive tonal shifts between black people being mistreated & tortured and Django being a total badass killing people, plus the abundant comedy are just too much for one isolated movie. It makes the movie incredibly imbalanced and by the end you just don't know what kind of movie you're watching. Believe me, it's not a hilarious genre 180 like From Dusk Till Dawn, it just sucks. You end up not caring about any of the characters because they are all cartoons and the movie just becomes an indefinite mess. I wouldn't mind this so much if it were competently made, but in this case I definitely think Tarantino did a horrible job technically. It was not well shot, the entire movie felt like it was shot on a set (you don't get a good sense of the geography and there is not enough variety in the locations - same problem True Grit had, and a lot of movies nowadays regrettably). The writing was very good for the first 30 mins, but then they drop any mystery they managed to build up and focused on a very undeveloped and boring story which failed to deliver on all accounts. Anyway, I don't know what else to say, except that I just didn't enjoy it.
02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Kman - 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Nice - 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Kman - 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Adny - 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Kman - 01-28-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Kman - 01-28-2013, 01:56 AM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Nice - 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Bridge - 02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
RE: What was the last Film you watched? - by Kman - 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM