Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eternium: Sins of the Father [Full Release]
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Eternium: Sins of the Father [Full Release]

Same problem as others, can't leave the area with the suitor/key, you definitely need to test your maps more before releasing stuff! I will review up to this point though, map by map.

Contains spoilers

Spoiler below!

Main menu - please use static physics on objects in the main menu, things go CLUNK every time I'm on it!

1st map - Very detailed map, lighting is fairly good. Halo billboards look pretty bad and don't fit IMO, way too bright too. Saw a couple of beams that were flickering where they were joining other beams, should probably change their width/height to 0.99 or something so that doesn't happen. Maybe also disable collision on some things that the player has to walk through that are just scenery, it can get a little annoying getting stuck on tiny things. Scripting is ok, nothing amazing really just standard Amnesia styled events. Everything works like it should, maybe reduce the amount of time the player looks at the monster walking past the gate, we get it there's a monster there Tongue Static door was a little off-putting, kinda makes it seem like it's nothing to do with the gameplay when it actually is! Quick question - how did the player get stuck in a room with a locked door? Tongue

2nd map (sewers) - Again, good mapping! Lighting is quite nice too, I would reduce the speed that the water reflection moves, it looks WAY too fast. I would also add some sounds to the water falling from pipes, it was a little weird walking past them and not hearing anything. Also I don't get why the rope was already there before I even placed it in the puzzle.

3rd map (hub-looking map)
Didn't get to see much of this as I left the level pretty early due to a level door I didn't know was a level door! What I did see though, again nice detail and lighting. The ladder though, I'd stuck with a normal ladder and not one the player can run up and down.. innovation is good but only if it works!

4th map (wine cellar 2.0)
Okay, I swear this map has some serious similarities to the wine cellar in Amnesia, the entrance, stairs that break etc. Anyway this map was good from what I played of it, the pickup the container and loud noise was lame, but the monster appearing when the key was picked up actually surprised me a little (took me a while to find it and I forgot about the locked cabinet which the monster was obviously supposed to be in! Tongue ) This is where I played up to because of the bug with the variables.

Overall: Think you concentrated too much on the mapping, consequently the gameplay suffers. No real innovation, just a couple features that made it worse IMO (dem doors). Few ambient sounds. 5.5/10

Closure ModDB page:

[Image: 16LO8Sx]
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM by ExpectedIdentifier.)
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread