Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

(04-26-2014, 12:32 PM)Bridge Wrote: Even if that were true, and I'm not implying that it is or isn't because I don't have enough knowledge either way, it would only be a general way to describe things, not an absolute one. I have a disconnect between arousal and wanting to engage in any sort of sexual act, but I'm not a woman. It stands to reason that people are not doomed to follow nature's dictates with no conceivable free will and if they actually think things through they can come to unintuitive conclusions that defy what one would expect of their gender. Does it induce cognitive dissonance? Yeah, but what aspect of society doesn't involve even a little cognitive dissonance?

well yeah of course there's going to be variation. common to general belief gender is not a 100% strictly binary concept that aligns with your sex, but rather a spectrum (see: the concept of gender dysphoria, agenderism, literally the entire concept of trangenderism). much like sexuality it's more of a spectrum with the majority of people falling closer to the side that matches their sex, but that's not to say that you or i or others don't fall somewhere in between the two. i think that video does a pretty good job of explaining what sorts of traits are expressed on either end of the spectrum, and considering that the majority of people fall on the far end of the spectrum that matches their sex, it'd make sense that you'd see those ideas and standards expressed the majority of the time when you observe things created by either sex.

(04-26-2014, 12:32 PM)Bridge Wrote: It's precarious to talk about gender-specific "undertones" if one can not point to even a single example that is unique to one gender.

the above statement pretty much applies here to. of course because not everyones sex is going to align perfectly with their gender and as a result you can get outliers like that. on top of that, of course there will always be people who are able to reach beyond that and create something without any influence based on societally held values of either sex

(04-26-2014, 12:32 PM)Bridge Wrote: Furthermore, what implications do Acies' words have, that male undertones make games created by males somehow repellent to females? That males should only play games created by males and females only games created by females?

well, yeah, they are kind of repellent to a lot of females in that way. you kind of have to be blind to have missed the entire debate thats been going on throughout the entire internet over the last 2-3 years over female objectification in gaming and female representation. even beyond that itself gaming communities tend to be some of the worst breeding grounds for sexism and misogyny. maybe these ~male and female undertones~ really have more impact on people than you seem to be realizing.

and no, the point is that when we have such an abundance of male game creators and a lack of female ones its all too easy for men to misrepresent females and created these over sexualized simplistic characters that are just helping to further those mindsets. to not only be a more accepting community to people of both sexes and furthermore to not help encourage these mindsets in men we should work to better represent them and not simply throw them around like sex objects.

(04-27-2014, 02:18 AM)Abraxas Wrote: You imply that those things you listed effect the product being put out on the shelves. I'm saying that those things are culturally reinforced and harmful, and we are capable of much better products.

like im not even disagreeing with what youre saying its just

thats not really what im trying to argue. yes in a perfect world none of those things i listed would have an impact on media but that doesn't change the fact that they do and as a result when we're discussing the differences between content either sex puts out its relevant to bring up those points even if they can be avoided and are societally imposed.

also i wrote this in like 3 different sessions in the middle of a convo with someone so its probably horribly scatter brained and all over the place and its super late so i do nootttt have the energy to read over it all again so uh. i apologize for that

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2014, 09:38 AM by Kman.)
04-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-23-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-26-2014, 02:50 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM