Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

(04-27-2014, 09:36 AM)Kman Wrote: well, yeah, they are kind of repellent to a lot of females in that way.

Do you know what the word "vicarious" means? Merriam-Webster gives this definition:

Merriam Webster Wrote:vi·car·i·ous adjective \vī-ˈker-ē-əs, və-\

experienced or felt by watching, hearing about, or reading about someone else rather than by doing something yourself

This is possible because of a thing called empathy which all non-psychopaths have to some extent. It's what makes it possible for you to play a game as a non-human like an anthropomorphic animal or supernatural being or a human with exaggerated qualities or even a character that is the polar opposite of yourself. It's also the reason why filthy sexist pigs such as myself can play as female characters and it making sense despite not being female in real life. What are you suggesting when you say that females are repellent to games with male protagonists or even just male undertones? Either that women are incapable of empathy or that they are unwilling to be exposed to different views from their own, if these undertones even exist at all, that is.

This must also be the reason why females don't read books, watch movies and listen to music created by men, right? Because of the male undertones?

Bear in mind I am not necessarily talking about games where you play as a stupid brute of an action hero rescuing a weak and defenseless damsel in distress with no story to speak of whatsoever. Most males are not even interested in those types of games, and if they are it is because the gameplay is enjoyable, not because of "male undertones."

Quote:even beyond that itself gaming communities tend to be some of the worst breeding grounds for sexism and misogyny.

Oh, silly me, here I was thinking that modern Islam was the worst breeding ground for sexism and misogyny. Because, y'know, Saudi Arabia is an actual patriarchy and the oppression of women there is demonstrable. You don't need to concoct media conspiracies or point to hidden undertones because the sexism is there for all to see - I don't think anybody would even deny it.

Quote:maybe these ~male and female undertones~ really have more impact on people than you seem to be realizing.

It's entirely conceivable, except I don't know what these undertones are. People here have described them only with vague language. How is anybody supposed to determine if they exist if nobody even knows what they are.

EDIT: I feel I need to make a short disclaimer because it seems like not everyone understands what I'm trying to say:

I'm not lobbying for things to stay as they are, necessarily. While I don't think representation is as important as most people say - in fact, one could argue that it's quasi-narcissistic or vain to have such a desire to see oneself in the media one consumes* - it makes little sense for things to stay so skewed. But what can you do? These are simple stories that are easy to tell and easy to comprehend that make a killing and if they continue to do so things won't change. I think we must do either of following:

1) Admit that games as an artistic medium have as many merits or at least as many possibilities as the other artistic media, like literature, film, "art" and music, and exclude these lazy products from the conversation. In other words, only focus on the serious efforts and look at how sexist they are. Not much, in my opinion. There is "sexism" in film and literature too, but people would think twice before calling them inherently sexist media. So, too, it should be with games.

2) Exclude the artistic side of games or any other media from the equation and talk only about the popularly consumed products; their effect on society and how we can go about changing society. In other words, stop picking on games for the drivel that the mainstream assembly line regurgitates because we don't do it for any other medium.

*Unless the motive is just to guard against misinformation.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM by Bridge.)
04-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-23-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-26-2014, 02:50 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Bridge - 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM