Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Most intelligent persons of the world
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Most intelligent persons of the world

Ladies and gents, you can all stop debating now. Clearly I am the most intelligent person in the world. No need to thank me for gracing the forums with my presence.

Serious note/rant below:

How are we measuring the intelligence? What counts as being smart and how can you definitively say one person is more intelligent than another?

For example, one could consider an artist intelligent because they have the ability to interpret 3-Dimensional objects and project them in 2-dimensional space, or take a 2D drawing and rotate the figure in their mind to draw it in a new position/from a new angle, or even turn the drawing back to 3D by modelling it. Most also have an innate sense of anatomy (perhaps not entirely in a medical sense) and, to a degree, physics, which allows them to draw believable scenes - or intentionally break the rules in a coherent way. Does this make artists intelligent?

What about a math professor? Is the ability to solve complex mathematical problems and pass these methods on to students a sign of intelligence? Does this make the math professor more intelligent than the artist?

Engineers have to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios and work quickly under high-pressure situations where accuracy may be of life-or-death importance. Being able to interpret technical drawings to produce 3D objects or create technical drawings based off a prototype requires significant spatial awareness, like the artist. Because the engineer has skills both the mathematician and artist do, does this make him smarter than both of them?

Is a savant or a prodigy more intelligent than an average person because they're highly skilled in one field or is the average person more intelligent because they're more well-rounded?
Compare:
• Young child that can play Fantasie Impromptu on piano, but cannot read, write, or solve basic math
• Your average young child of the same age; they can read, write, do basic math, maybe play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on piano

If music is not your thing, then what about if the one child can solve calculus equations but has a severe language impediment compared to an average child?

The whole "who's the most intelligent" question is an indicator of what you value intellectually. There's really no quantifiable way to determine who the most intelligent person in the world is unless everyone agrees on a set of distinct qualities that can be used to measure intelligence (such as IQ).

Disclaimer: I haven't had an English class in almost three years and I turned off my phone's autocorrect. I'm so so sorry if I mixed up something stupid like you're/your. Believe me, I'm cringing more than you are at that if I've noticed.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
03-15-2015, 05:53 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most intelligent persons of the world - by CarnivorousJelly - 03-15-2015, 05:53 AM