The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My amnesia thoughts (can include spoilers)
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29
My amnesia thoughts (can include spoilers)

So I finally beat it, and while it was a great game, which I'm pretty sure everyone agrees I'm mostly going to focus on small points of criticism. Take note, there are many spoilers below.

- While the dynamic engine that allows you to throw stuff around is great, over time I began to felt like that this feature only worked in places they intended to. For example in a trailer it shows Daniel blocking a door by pushing a table in front of it, but in the game that isn't possible.
I mostly felt like you could only throw lone books and small rocks around, and beams/large rocks could only be pushed if it was a puzzle to unblock a door. Many small misc. bottles were even glued to their shelf. Another instance is with the dead grunt, you can smack his upper body around but his lower body is unmovable.
I expected to be able to push vases over and pick up individual pieces of it and throw that too.

- The grunts all looking exactly the same bothered me a little. It wouldn't have been a problem with a more plain looking character (like all the dead bodies), but since the grunts and brutes have extremely distinctive features (the way their jaw is flapping open) it seemed a little out of place to me that they all looked exactly alike. Even more so when there are two next to eachother when they capture you.

- After the prison, the same walltexture is used several times throughout (like the place with Agrippa and stuff), I somehow felt it a bit overused and making the surroundings look repetitive. A lot of the same furniture and items are re-used throughout over and over again.

- I didn't like the part with the Chancel onwards very much because the architecture and layout of the areas looked a little unlikely for a real environment to me and it was a little too out-of-this-world but that's personal taste.

- I'd have loved to have had a portion of the map where I got to be outside, like an enclosed castle yard or something would have been a good choice imo.

- The Laundanum was a little unnecesary because health regenerates automatically and usually if a monster begins mauling you you're done for anyway (and just respawn)

- Insanity doesn't make you insane enough. I've never had my character pass out in a moment that he had to begin running for a monster, so keeping in light was more of a convenience thing to me than an actual gameplay element.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Too bad the next installment won't be horror based, Amnesia was pretty unique and I'd love to see a sequel (maybe in a different storyline or setting).
08-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
My amnesia thoughts (can include spoilers) - by cantremember - 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM