Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo"
AspiringFailure Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo"

I'm a little bit confused by what Thomas meant by how actions that promote connectivty with the world should take presidence over puzzles. When I read this, I think of Duke Nukem's cool interactions. I can see how having an interactable world would definitely ruin puzzles, and thus how puzzles limit interactability.

I don't think this is true for ALL puzzles, though. The classic "Find the key or keycode" obstacle works extremely well with interaction-overload. The search for the code gives you motive to explore, and after exploration yields interesting discoveries, you're given motive far beyond "Open that door" to explore. I mean this is basically Silent Hill's WHOLE FOUNDATION for gameplay and it works extremely well. Motivation's not that important, though, because as with all games if you're not moving forward then you feel like you need to do something. 'Cause you're playing a game. Having REAL motivation though, that connects with me, makes a huge difference in how I enjoy a game.

I'm pretty sure the next game will still use the "Look for key" device, though. Seeing as that's not really a puzzle. And I do think puzzles can be dropped, and motivation maintained. I got horribly stuck on the coin puzzle in Penumbra in the very beginning because I never thought of actually flattening the coin and using it as a screwdriver. And everybody I've seen play it only figured it out thanks to the good old "Try everything in inventory on item" strategy, haha. I think puzzles break immersion dramatically. However the puzzle in Amnesia where you have to gather the ingredients for the acidic chemical to get into the Inner Sanctum built immersion VERY well for me. Because I thought exactly what I was supposed to think, and things clicked when they should have. I was fully motivated by the game and by my own determination to get through that door and it was amazing. To be completely honest, too, there could have been loads of interactable things in them rooms and I would still have clearly needed that alchemy-lab thing on the table to proceed. So I think puzzles can work if you put them in a space that seperates the player from the excess tools that would have lead to running around and trying everything possible.

Wow, NO DIRECTION AT ALL in my posts. xD! If anybody can find something to branch off with from that mess then i wholly salute you.
06-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Thomas - 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Tanshaydar - 10-11-2011, 11:07 AM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Sexbad - 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Tottel - 10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Sexbad - 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Thomas - 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Sexbad - 10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by Tottel - 10-12-2011, 06:54 AM
RE: Blog: "Thoughts on Limbo" - by WindexGlow - 10-17-2011, 05:38 AM