The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Slightly disappointed by Penumbra Overture
flcn27 Offline

Threads: 4
Slightly disappointed by Penumbra Overture

Yes, that's right. I'm a bit disappointed by Penumbra Overture. The reason? I've already completed Amnesia so I guess I got used to the horror.

Apart from the first dog, I was never really scared. You quickly get used to the dogs and evading them is easy if you watch their patrol patterns. The spiders are annoying but not scary (imo). I've played for 2 hours but apparantly I'm almost near the end and I have to say that I expected more from the story as well. I was hoping to find lots of clues left by my father and explore a creepy mine. Instead I am forced to turn on the lights in the mine and there's even a person (Red) talking to me. This killed all the tension for me.

I still think this is a great game. It's just not what I expected. I expected to be trapped in a mine, feeling lonely and having no other option but to hide from the monsters and find an exit. I miss Amnesia already, where I had to hide in a closet and never knew when I would encounter another monster. In Penumbra I can always see the dogs before they see me and then I just wait until I can sneak past them.

Any suggestions? Note that I'm already playing in a dark room and with a headset. I found it harder to immerse myself in this game than in Amnesia though.
I also bought Penumbra: Black Plague so I think that game will be a lot more frightening Smile. But I wish I could enjoy Overture as well, just as I enjoyed every minute of Amnesia.

10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Slightly disappointed by Penumbra Overture - by flcn27 - 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM