Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spoiler Some suggestions for the developers to improve game mechanics. (SPOILERS)
Juke Offline

Threads: 2
Two more things: Water Level and Justine Hardcore Mode

I'll just hijack this thread to post my own thoughts. Didn't feel like starting a new one and clutter the forums even more.

First, let's start with the Water Monster level. When I played it for the first time I was not able to run at all while in the water. This is what added to the scare for me because you had to bunny hop in a desperate attempt to move quicker, while at the same time hearing the monster's footsteps gaining on you (whether it really did move faster or was just an illusion of the audio effects, I don't know).

Now, I don't know if this is intended or not but I noticed that several Let's Players on Youtube have been able to just run through the water so fast that the monster has no chance of catching them. This results in the fact that the whole encounter is not at all scary, in fact one of them even made a comment about it being easy/less scary than the other monster encounters.

I suggest you revert it back to the way it was cause the change has completely ruined the mood for the water part.

Second thing concerns Justine. I understand that the whole point of No Save is to make death more meaningful but, as a silly scaredy cat that I am, I like to pace myself. However, because it does not save I can't just play for 15 to 30 minutes and then do something else. Having not finished the expansion just yet (don't spoil it, please) I
don't know exactly how long it is in terms of map size but a puzzle or a
monster can take up quite a lot of time that not everyone has. Also, imagine if something really important comes up right at the finishing line and you have to stop a perfect run only to start over again.

So I suggest this: make it like a Hard-Core mode in RPG games such as Diablo and rogue like games. You quit the game, it saves the character. You die, you lose your saved games and/or profile (since the profile is separate from the Dark Descent).

That way one can quit when he feels like it and doesn't feel penalized by it, yet the game retains its meaningful atmosphere of dread because death is final and you only have one life.
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Two more things: Water Level and Justine Hardcore Mode - by Juke - 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM