Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Suggestion: New "Monster Event" Ideas?
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Suggestion: New "Monster Event" Ideas?

(03-11-2012, 05:43 PM)xxalucard Wrote: 1. *Most* monsters disappear after you hide for a little while. This isn't such a bad thing, but the music cues give way too much away-- you always know when a monster is looking for you and when it's fully gone. I understand that there are still surprises when the monster first attacks you, but I think it's too re-assuring and easy to simply hide and wait for the music to indicate your safe.

So much yes. I quickly picked up the music cues portion of the game and could tell when I was in danger which kinda took some danger away. In a mod I'm working on, I made a patrol grunt - it's in the hub level, it plays no cues and it never disappears.

In AMFP I'd like to see enemies be more life-like: checking hiding places and changing their path even when not chasing the player. It'd be extremely petrifying to run out of an enemy's sight into a closet and have the creeking terror music stop, then suddenly have the closet doors be completely torn down by that enemy, then the music starts again.

I'd probably pause and not play for a hundred years in a situation like this.

The music shouldn't be used to give players hints about enemies, but just to add to the environment. I can't think of a good way to change between search, danger and attack musical tracks properly without ruining the feel but I'm sure FG can come up with a new musical cue engine.

When I first played Penumbra and heard the dog music for the first time I was in complete terror, but when I kept playing I knew I needed to hide whenever that same track started playing. Yes, it was scary but not as scary as it could've been. (also the Penumbra enemy danger track is scarier than Amnesia's, in my opinion, since it's made of tense instruments and increasing tension. Nevermind.)

Same goes for Amnesia - after the first Grunt encounter in the guest room when I first heard the music - I instantly knew it's the danger music and I should watch out for it. Once it's gone - I knew I was safe. And that kind of ruined my experience with enemies.

I hope I made my point Sleepy
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion: New "Monster Event" Ideas? - by Patacorow - 03-14-2012, 06:30 PM