Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help How can i create a good atmosphere?
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: How can i create a good atmosphere?

To make a good atmosphere always ask yourself, "What makes a child afraid to go to bed at night?".
The simple answer is Imagination. It allows the player to fill those dark areas (figuratively and literally) with what they fear the most. Appropriate music is also very necessary; it's what sold me in White Night. Sleepy
Make the player do things they know they don't want to: descend down a dark staircase, venture into a room with a trail of blood leading in (though this is an example, remember cliques), or follow the sounds of scratching; chain rattling; etc.
Don't make things too dark. If there's going to be something scary, let it be seen. Remember that dark staircase I told you about? Well, try to add a bit of pale illumination, coming through in streaks. God, I love fucking people up with streaks.
Lastly, make sure everything makes sense. Feel free to scare the player, but always stay true to this rule. Every scare should (be fucking mature about this word) penetrate (if I see you making any rape monsters after this I will FUCKING KILL YOU) the player. Strive to not just throw the player out of their comfort zone, but make them run from it.
06-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can i create a good atmosphere? - by failedALIAS - 06-22-2012, 12:23 AM
RE: How can i create a good atmosphere? - by Adny - 06-22-2012, 12:30 AM