Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found]
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found]

(07-26-2012, 01:28 AM)Sexbad Wrote:
(07-26-2012, 12:28 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 08:50 PM)Sexbad Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 05:06 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: It makes me think of Botanicula. Except when you click on the things, a jack in the box pops out.
Have you played a point-and-click adventure game before (other than Botanicula)? Pointing and clicking are pretty standard things!
Yes I have, but I don't like the idea of a horror game being only point & click, with no other controls. What I said was just a pessimistic prediction of what it will be like. I'm interested to see how this will work.
Spoiler below!

It shouldn't be a problem so long as the story and puzzles back up the environments. Overture had physical horror that focused around its stealth, but I think it was the psychological stuff--logs of various characters detailing the mine's history, giving more questions than immediate answers--that really made the game a haunting experience for me.

Good adventure games have always been about provoking emotions that are almost never even tapped in other genres. If it's got an atmosphere with a deep world and characters to back it up, I've no doubt it'll manage to unsettle you, especially since the gameplay reinforces the fact that you're just a common person.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to play Scratches and Darkness Within. Apparently they're both pretty good examples of horror that employs very passive gameplay.

That's right about the psychological stuff, that's what I think this new game will be entirely focusing on. The only thing that bothers me though, is how can you get a feeling of danger and fear of dying when you can't even control the movement and actions of your character? I worry it will feel more like a movie than a game.

Also, never played either of those games, heard they were good too. Please post back about them!

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM by Damascus Rose.)
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found] - by Damascus Rose - 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Asylum Kickstarter! - by Dave Hopman - 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
RE: Asylum Kickstarter! - by Statyk - 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: Asylum Kickstarter! - by plutomaniac - 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM