Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

It Would Work
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
RE: It Would Work

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:Too bad Ingmar Bergman isn't alive and doing films. He and maybe Stanley Kubrick and really the only two directors I'd trust in making Penumbra. Almost any hollywood director would turn it into something sour.

For fun, I had thought about how Penumbra would be if it was a movie.
My own opinion (very rough draft; sort of quick. short version)

At the funeral where his mother is being buried. At the house, he talks with some relatives; maybe some about his father. His fiancee comes in late; apologizes for it. they may talk some and then another scene comes. possibly getting the package/letter from his so called dead father.
this sets both Philip and his fiancee (whom I call Anna) out to Greenland. Once they find the hatch and crawl down, the ladder breaks.
From this very moment to the end of the entire story, there is no more video of the outside world. ONLY the caves/shelter. this gives us the ultimate feeling of being trapped.
First (or couple) night, they head off to bed; only to find out that Anna is missing when he wakes up.
Again, vital; we no longer hear from her or see her. We don't see what her status is, where she is, NOTHING.
It's now Philip, no one else; until at some point, Red comes into the picture (audio actually); when Philips picks up the walkie talkier/com radio.
some hallucinations occur. Philip is obviously trapped, reading some letters, hearing Red talk about whatever, trying to find Anna.

I'd figure the start (before hitting the caves) could last maybe 30 or so minutes into it. Obviously, I haven't thought too much of it; being it's only for fun; but if you could imagine an Ingmar Bergman film; it may be a great film.

I think he should go to Greenland alone, as in the game. His fiancé should be seen only at the beginning of the story (still at home in Britain) and then in some thought flashbacks - as a kind of memory that cheers him up, when he feels he's completely doomed and no one cares for him, except Red. I don't know, just an idea on how to not ruin the story line with his girlfriend, but to add a little more personal background of his into the movie. :-) There can be occasional flashbacks of his mother too... Just to add a more surreal feel. And it would fit nicely with the even more bizzare flashbacks from Black Plague. Just my opinion, that's all...

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
04-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
It Would Work - by fraggot - 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM