The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghost-like entity help
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Ghost-like entity help

Due to me being the last one to comment on my Amnesia Super Thread for Amnesia Custom Story ideas, and not wanting to risk getting in trouble for 'double posting', I've decided to post this custom monster help here.

If any of you remember, as part of my inspiration for a 'new' monster concept, Star Control 2's story dealing with the Orz and the Androsynth then you might know what I want. For those that don't, here's a teaser from Star Control 2:

A race of genetically altered humans, who know call themselves Androsynth, split from Earth to form their own culture on another world. Now your character was away for a long time, so missed out on a lot including a massive war. When you check the Androsynth Homeworld, you find all the cities to be in ruins. The state of the ruins suggests not an orbital bombardment but a massive ground assault. What's strange that no bodies can be found! When one of your crew finds a working computer with log of events, he goes insane and starts destroying everything. Saying something about 'Them' coming for him, just knowing was enough to alert 'Them'. Destroying the information, thus ignorance is bliss, was the only protection we had. He survived, but when being brought back to the ship, new cuts seem to form

Although the Orz, who now live in Androsynth space, are fish-like in appearance the Androsynth logs hint that the Orz are ghost-like entities. After remembering this, I couldn't resist trying to put something like it in Amnesia.

Think of this concept, an entity that passes through all doors and walls and can hurt you whenever it wants. All of the locked doors and debris serve to hinder your escape from a dangerous lab/city from 'Them'!

Think about it, how many times have we felt secure after putting a blockade on a door to keep the monster(s) out? I felt good knowing I had escaped the monster, especially the Grunt/Brute in Amnesia. Now imagine a monster going through that blocked door as if it weren't there at all!

Design: I started with making a Kaernk-Class monster to be my alien entity that's ghost like. I could use whatever particle system I wanted to be the visual aspect of the entity (let our minds envision the rest, based on notes I leave as a basis).

Problem: While the design of the monster entity would be easy for the most part, I do have one hurdle that I'm not positive to the solution. I tried to see if I can make a monster walk through a wall, but have the player unable to walk through the same wall. When setting a special wall as only objects can pass through it but 'characters' cannot, it seems that monsters as well as players are part of the 'characters' category. Not knowing how to do scripted events, I have no solution to this problem.

Can any of you figure out how to do this? Can only a monster pass through walls and doors but not you? If not, then how do we make the illusion of this effect. Sorry for a long start up, but I figured it was needed to paint the type situation I wanted for an Amnesia Custom Story.
01-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Ghost-like entity help - by The Rock Worm - 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM
RE: Ghost-like entity help - by TheGreatCthulhu - 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM
RE: Ghost-like entity help - by Acies - 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: Ghost-like entity help - by Statyk - 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
RE: Ghost-like entity help - by The Rock Worm - 01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
RE: Ghost-like entity help - by Acies - 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM