The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Good is Good Enough?
BonesTheRabbit Offline

Threads: 20
How Good is Good Enough?

I've been dabbling in the level editor and lurking here on the forums for awhile. After some time, I've come to the realization that I'm a bit of a perfectionist; the maladaptive kind. Now, this sort of work mentality can have positive and negative consequences. One of the positives is that I can create very detailed and arguably quality work. The consequential negative is simply why you haven't seen any work from me.

Frequently, I see posts like this:
(02-27-2013, 01:40 AM)Kman Wrote: I'm just saying that because from what I've seen you're not doing a whole lot new and unique with the assets. All of the screenshots I've seen so far, while they are still high quality, have just been basic rooms in Amnesia. They're nothing that I haven't seen done just as well in other custom stories, and I think you have the talent to be able to make some really unique and fresh areas with the default assets, which I'd just like to see more of.

I become extremely self-conscious and worried that my work just isn't perfect. Now, pragmatically, I know that perfection is a mechanically unreachable status. Nothing is perfect, and perfection is in and of itself a flaw. But I often times need to take a step back and ask myself "How good is good enough?" I find myself pouring over articles, and analyzing the more popular / quality custom stories, seeing what I like and don't like as a player. But I have trouble actually finishing something and being able to say "Yes, this is finished. I will move on to the next part."

I want to make a quality custom story, to sort of prove myself to my peers, and maybe form / join a team later on, once people have seen what I can accomplish as an individual creator. Moreso than that, however, I want to actually create the custom story, and get it into the hands of those who might like to play it.

Does anyone with similar experiences have any advice?
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM by BonesTheRabbit.)
04-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
How Good is Good Enough? - by BonesTheRabbit - 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM
RE: How Good is Good Enough? - by palistov - 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: How Good is Good Enough? - by JonnyAnomaly - 04-21-2013, 08:43 PM
RE: How Good is Good Enough? - by TheGreatCthulhu - 04-22-2013, 02:24 AM