Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Assistance on Model Crash
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Assistance on Model Crash

I see there are two ways of doing this.
1-Merge all textures into one
Spoiler below!

First off, be mindful of texture sizes. if you want to compress all 5-6 into one image, see the sizes of the individual textures and apply it to what you will set up the new one to be. Each image should share a similar texture density to their original image. So, if each image is 1024x1024, make the one image you will be putting them into 2048x2048. Or if each image is 512x512, make the new canvas 1024x1024. I would personally go for 1024x1024 no matter what for optimization purposes, but I do not know how the UV is mapped out. Once you have your new 1024x1024 canvas, start dropping each image into it.

Once you have them all in there, begin to crop them into separate pieces on the canvas and arrange them to take up as much texture space as possible. Also be mindful of their sizes. You don't want, say, a leg, being a lower resolution than the torso because you made the leg texture too small. Keep them all at roughly the same ratio in size. Once they're all placed into the texture, save it, and open up the model.

From there, make a new material in the modelling program and find your new texture. Apply each mesh of the model to the new material, and combined all the meshes into one model. From there, just rig, skin it, and do the rest. Now the model has one texture to work on. It'll be a little less detailed, but it's not that noticeable of a change, and it's saving a lot of memory space. In all, it's worth the little less detail.

2-mutiple meshes, multiple materials
Spoiler below!

DO NOT combine the meshes together in the modelling program that hold different materials. Just Shift (or Ctrl) click each mesh, then the skeleton and skin it. This is what I did for my main menu mod. A skeleton can skin multiple meshes, it's not limited to one mesh per skeleton. From there, you just do the rest, export it and such.

07-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Assistance on Model Crash - by vengey - 07-12-2013, 01:33 AM
RE: Assistance on Model Crash - by Statyk - 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM
RE: Assistance on Model Crash - by vengey - 07-13-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: Assistance on Model Crash - by Statyk - 07-13-2013, 01:00 AM