Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism

The only 'problem' here is their apparent inability to appropriately judge their audience. So the game ultimately comes off as a poorly concieved compromise between two conflicting approaches that fails to impress on both levels. Instead of contributing anything worthwile to the franchise, they've simply used it as vessel through which to elevate themselves as a company.

When they started talking shit about a rigid set of criteria I had to stop reading. First of all, if you want to experiment with the form of gaming then EXPERIMENT with it. Do not simply resort to cramming a tour guide story down our necks instead and then expect us to be terrified. There is nothing in AMFP that could not have been conveyed just as effectively through a movie or even a book. What seperates the videogame as a medium for storytelling is the freedom to explore and interact and the resulting potential for immersion and emotional engagement. AMFP failed to take advantage of that.

Secondly, just because your game dares to challenge a convention, it does not automatically convert it to a status exempt from criticism. What they are basically telling us is that they think their game is fantastically scary and that anyone who disagrees is the one with the problem.

Lastly, I am most certainly not one of those people who Pinchbeck has placed in the shallow "jumpscare" camp. I am a huge fan of atmosphere, deep story and psychological horror, I play games slowly and respectfully and I welcome anything that tries something new and different. I take nothing at face value. So then surely, I of all people should be your target audience? Yet I was not impressed with the game. Six hours. High-quality headphones. Midnight. An open mind. What more do you want from me?

The man is a dumb pretentious arrogant and pathetic cunt. As far as I'm concerned his shitty company can take their pitiful excuse for a sequel and shove it straight back up their assholes. Absolutely disgusting.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM by The Raining Brains.)
10-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism - by The Raining Brains - 10-18-2013, 10:33 AM