Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

I totally agree with the sentiment of what you're saying Tombcool but it's completely misplaced. If a writer wants to create a relatable and convincing fictional character they need to draw on personal experience to do that, if they are male therefore it becomes very difficult to create a convincing female character. I don't think I could create a Mother or Daughter character, because I don't understand completely the motivations of those roles, so any attempt would be disingenuous and insultingly shallow and neither male or female player would find the character relatable.

Likewise the setting is totally relevant, if for their story Chinese Room decided the main character should be the wealthy industrialist in turn-of-the-century London, then yeh it had to be a male character - saying 'its fiction so you can do what you like' is pointless, a big part of horror is creating a believable situation that the player can relate to as real, that is what makes the un-real parts that much more disturbing

Instead of attacking male developers for not creating female characters, you need to be promoting female developers, that's the only way we are going to get more interesting, well-thought out and relatable female protagonists in games.

09-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop? - by Adrianis - 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM