Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Help to choose name for my novel.
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Help to choose name for my novel.

Yeah. Look at some of your favorite titles and try to find out why they are so effective. Having a title that looks and sounds pleasing is very important, but a good title is nothing if it isn't tied contextually or thematically to the book. In fact, it's happened to me several times, where I watched a movie or read a book or whatever with a title I found to be unappealing, that I ended up enjoying it immensely after seeing how it was connected to the story. There are many ways to come up with a good title but I find I generally favor more poetic ones.

Quick example is "A Game of Thrones", which is a title I like a lot. The meaning of "game of thrones" is quite obvious, and yet it is not just a mere description of what happens in the book. It does sum up the book in a way, but it is also connected thematically to the book in several ways. The title is obviously not very complex; you could have even called it something like "A Fight for Power" or even just "War", but the title "A Game of Thrones" is much more effective because while it says essentially the same thing it is much more evocative. Parallels are drawn between wars and games & thrones and power (also quite obvious) which not only manages to make the title intriguing but also manages to say much more than say "A Fight for Power" even though that title gives you more information contextually.

Even if you hate A Game of Thrones I don't think you can deny that it is a great title and one can learn a lot about thematic and contextual consistency in title making plus the importance of smooth syllabic flow and all that good stuff. If you want to go even deeper, entire books have been written about poetry that you would find useful (it can even help you become a much more interesting author - there is nothing worse than dry prosaic writing, except maybe forced uninspired poetry). I especially recommend Noam Chomsky's books and lectures. I have to admit I only have second-hand knowledge of them but his linguistics studies especially in the field of poetry are amazingly insightful, and much more in-depth than you probably thought was possible.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM by Bridge.)
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Help to choose name for my novel. - by Red - 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Bridge - 10-27-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Red - 10-27-2013, 01:23 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Bridge - 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Red - 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Red - 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Froge - 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM
RE: Help to choose name for my novel. - by Red - 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM