Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Affectionate horror
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Affectionate horror

Oh yesyesyesyes! This thread was built for me!

Namely I am talking about the anime Higurashi, which I have written extensive thoughts on here:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid269963

I don't care how often I bring this anime up. After Corithian recommended it to me, and I watched it, it has been the thing that truly opened my eyes to the possibilities of tragic horror, at least the first season.

Unlike a lot of other horror I see which may be depressing all the way through, Higurashi's main strength lies in its contrast which makes you truly understand how the main cast are very good friends, and that an unfortunate twist of events causes a dreadful tragedy. You'll actually feel sorry for the cast on screen whilst being creeped out at what's unfolding, and later on when more light is shed on certain aspects you'll feel even worse than you did initially.

That's really something I feel like horror could do some more with. Using happier days as a contrast to illustrate how the characters have fallen turns the story from a clusterball of messed up shit into an engaging, and often tear-jerking tragedy.

EDIT: Oh, and judging from how this thread is going currently, I think it'll have less to do with SOMA than it was set out to begin with as opposed to talking about this stuff in General. So off to Off Topic it is!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 05:11 AM by Kreekakon.)
11-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Affectionate horror - by Googolplex - 11-01-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: Affectionate horror - by HorrorElementFilms - 11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
RE: Affectionate horror - by VaeVictis - 11-02-2013, 12:48 AM
RE: Affectionate horror - by EnDash - 11-03-2013, 03:25 AM
RE: Affectionate horror - by Kreekakon - 11-03-2013, 05:02 AM