Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you think this looks interesting?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes,
75.00%
36 75.00%
No,
25.00%
12 25.00%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
PREMONITION ; "first" RELEASE! Link is Inside. (Updated)
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: PREMONITION ; "first" RELEASE! Link is Inside.

As I have understood (guessed) the chronological order of events:

1. Humiliation, dnalange and Summer work on Investigator together. Humiliation and dnalange does mapping while Summer does story writing.
2. Humiliation is having trouble finding motivation to finish his mod, so he decides to 'merge' his mod with Premonition.
3. After a while dnalange has worked on the maps made by Humiliation, changed them in such a way that dnalange now believes him to be (entitled to almost be) the creator of them.

Although this is not applicable in this case: http://painting.about.com/cs/artistscopy...htfaq6.htm
http://painting.about.com/od/copyrightforartistsfaq/

It can serve as some sort of guideline. I interpret making maps and modding in this kind of way is in the grayzone of an idea/finished concept. You do not own the assets, just (your idea) the way of arranging them. Either way..

4. dnalange threatens to uncredit Humiliation. In the end that is not done. With the help of another person he rewrites the story written by Summer in such a way that he believes it to be unrecognizable from the original. Summer is removed from the credits. I do not know how similiar the stories are.
5. Mod is released, a few weeks after the talk with humiliation. Humiliation has sometime during these weeks changed his mind about the maps. Hell breaks loose in this thread.

The above might be totally wrong, it's just me trying to arrange my thoughts on the process of this.

I always believe that you have to be careful when handling other people's work. Along the way to release there has to be checkpoints, multiple discussions as to the fact that you are using something made by someone else - at least if that work is given to you through a private discussion and not an 'open agreement' (eg. 'here is my piece of music, anyone may use it as long as they link back to this site').

That to avoid confusion and keep on good terms of understanding between the giver and reciever of the work. Technically someone is free to use your work as soon as you give 'the green light', so be aware of the gravity of that decision if you are a giver of work. In the end you want to avoid shitstorms like this, so try to be nice to people; not only to avoid arguments but because that is a good way to approach life. Being nice in this case is having the giver in on the process all the way and properly appreciating the favour they have done in sharing with you.

As I see it Summer has not been credited or contacted on the fact that his work was used. It might be so that Summer's work is so changed that it is unrecognizable, it might be that it's not. Either way, going by the 'being nice principle' I think that Summer should have been contacted and asked about the fact that his work was going to be used in this way. I also believe that it would be courtesy to credit him, or at least acknowledge the work he put into the story.

TLDR;
Dnalange is technically correct in using Humiliations work. He might be technically correct in using Summer's work, he might not be. But you can't go around life stepping on people's toes. Trying to be nice and reaching an understanding goes a long way! Also, if you are 'a giver of work' be careful when sharing it and be 100% sure of your decision when giving someone 'the green light' to use it. You might have put a lot of love and thought into it, so put a lot of thought into the decision.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014, 05:25 PM by Acies.)
01-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: PREMONITION ; "first" RELEASE! Link is Inside. - by Acies - 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM