Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How many puzzles?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tons of puzzles, I love adventure games
24.14%
21 24.14%
A reasonable amount, I don't want to spend 3/4 of the game solving puzzles, but I enjoy them
60.92%
53 60.92%
Not very many, I don't really like solving puzzles but a few here and there is okay
12.64%
11 12.64%
None at all, I want my game to be a movie
2.30%
2 2.30%
Total 87 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Should Soma be more like Penumbra or The Walking Dead?
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Should Soma be more like Penumbra or The Walking Dead?

(07-23-2014, 02:31 AM)eliasfrost Wrote: As I said, Amnesia is a great game, but it's far too similar to Penumbra. Heck I would love to see Frictional's take on an RTS, or an RPG. I mean why not? I don't understand how trying new things is a bad thing. They haven't left their comfort zone since 2006 when they made the Penumbra tech demo, I think they've evolved their style well enough, that is almost nothing considering they've made 4 fundamentally identical games already with mostly stylistic changes.

The way you put it makes it sound like the games are somehow inherently bad for being similar. Niche developers almost always produce constant consistent greatness.

id Software has made exclusively shooters for decades and they still make great shooters.

Bethesda, BioWare, and Obsidian have made very little outside of the realm of RPGs in the last 10-20 years, doesn't diminish their games or their legacy in any way.

I just think it's beyond illogical to write off a game because the developer has worked in the genre for a long time. It's basically the same thing as buying a band's new album, and being mad that it sounds like the same band.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 01:25 AM by SHODANFreeman.)
07-31-2014, 01:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Soma be more like Penumbra or The Walking Dead? - by SHODANFreeman - 07-31-2014, 01:24 AM