Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

TDD & Penumbra Being Removed From GOG by September 2nd
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: TDD & Penumbra Being Removed From GOG by September 2nd

(10-08-2014, 03:04 PM)Lebostein Wrote: Steam is a big fail. I would never purchase a game on Steam. Now you can see, why. If someday FG decide to remove their games from Steam (from whatever reason, no one can know what the future holds), you lost your games.

I'm not here to defend Steam (because I agree that it's always better to own DRM-free copies of games than a mere "subscription", as Steam calls it), but I just want to clarify something. When a game is removed from the Steam Store, it remains in the Library of those who have purchased it. For example, "Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures", by Telltale Games, has been removed from all stores in January this year ("due to the expiration of their distribution rights for the Wallace & Gromit intellectual property" - from Wikipedia), and I can still download and play the game on Steam.

There's only one game in the history of Steam that has been removed completely, from the store and the users' libraries: "Order of War: Challenge". Square Enix decided to shut down all the servers, so the game supposedly became unplayable. A dickish move by the publisher, yes, but there's no reason to think that a similar thing would happen to a single-player game.

Edit:

(10-08-2014, 03:04 PM)Lebostein Wrote: The price system on Humble is also different. If I would purchase "A Machine for Pigs" on Humble Store, I have to pay 17.49 €. If I use the Humble-Widget on http://www.frictionalgames.com I have to pay 20.00 $ = 15.81 €. What is going wrong?

I found this:

Widget Developer FAQ Wrote:Q: Do you localize for international currency/language?

A: At the moment, all widgets are in English and dollars. Customers will be able to purchase seamlessly, with the payment providers exchanging as needed (some exchange fees may apply). However please contact us if you would like your widget in a different currency! We will do what we can to accommodate.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 08:59 PM by Ashtoreth.)
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: TDD & Penumbra Being Removed From GOG by September 2nd - by Ashtoreth - 10-08-2014, 07:43 PM