Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Favorite Penumbra
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Favorite Penumbra

Voted for Black Plague.
Everything that was in the demo (except for the Tuurngait encounter) reeked of quality. I can't remember where it ends right now, but I remember the whole beginning of the game being pretty great up until you come to the first "corridor" area. The dream sequences were lovely.
Second would be Overture which had a mysteriousness I don't think Black Plague ever lived up to. Finding out what was down in the mine, figuring out who Red was, what a morse message said, what the rock worms were, finding the Shelter and all such. Can't remember the same level of mysteries in Black Plague except for Philips father, who was one of the less well handled parts of the game. The game also had a great ending compared to Black Plague.
Third would be the Tech Demo which thanks to its dark, silent areas managed to build up a whole lot of atmosphere that many developers simply don't dare creating in a full game, perhaps because the Doom 3 darkness criticism (which really was about the flashlight, but a lot of people seem to have misunderstood that part).
Final comes Requiem. Don't remember much from it, but a puzzle sidequest is what it was to me.

I do ought to replay Overture and Black Plague sometime and reconsider what was right wrong, good and bad.
They are great games, but I believe there still could be some nice discussing what made them so.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Favorite Penumbra - by Aliennoffe - 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM