The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Glowstick rave party
Headhanger Offline

Threads: 1
Glowstick rave party

Hi everyone. Just got the Penumbra pack on STEAM after playing the Overture demo. I'm loving it. The suspense, at first, made me doubt whether or not I was going to go back to playing the game any time soon. Especially when that dog padded right by me and I almost had a heart attack. Of course, after a good night's sleep (and fending off nightmares), I was resolved to return to this fantastic game.

It has already given me a load of ideas for building suspense for the Call of Cthulhu and Dark Heresy tabletop RPGs I run.

Anyway, I've only just got a radio and turned the power on (I'm trying to leave as few spoilers as possible) in Overture.

Possible spoilers follow
I found a use for this stinking beef jerky I'm carrying around. I laid a trail into a cargo container, hid, and then ambushed a dog when it went inside the container to follow the smell of the jerky.

I pushed a heavy metal crate in front of the door and now it's barking and growling at me while I laugh at it and bang on the side of the container with my hammer just to p' it off. Silly doggie... you no outsmart physicist.

A question arose when the same tactic had no effect on a second subject. The next time I tried to lure a dog into a container, it didn't even look at the jerky.

Was this intentional programming? Just a one-off bug perhaps? Or maybe some of these unfortunate looking mutts have had their noses rot off... they certainly can't smell me and I'm sure I've soiled myself at least once.
Spoilers end

Also: if I use the glowstick, does it have a limited lifetime? Since it looks like a chemical flare, does it stay lit forever? Or does its light get extinguished (or just hidden) when I put it away? I don't want to be walking around lit up like a Christmas tree when those dogs are sniffing me out.

Did I mention that this game rocks? The last time I was this scared was on The Cradle mission in Thief: Deadly Shadows. In fact, Overture has me more frightened than I was in any of the Thief games. Frictional should be very proud of that.

TL;DR: Can all dogs be trapped? Is the glowstick's illumination permanent, and if so - can I hide its luminescence?
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
Glowstick rave party - by Headhanger - 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM